[Plugins-writers] UDP echo port detection

From: Sullo (sullo@private)
Date: Tue Feb 15 2005 - 13:36:09 PST

I have some system admins that have moved echo from port 7 to a high number port
(this was their solution to our "disable echo on port 7" statement...lame) for a
certain expensive application. However I noticed that Nessus is identifying the
new port as:
 A SOCKS5 server is running on this port
 We could not determine its external interface address
 It prefers the unknown 3 authentication method (bug?)

Just not sure why it didn't pick it up as echo...? Perhaps the SOCKS5 ident just
ran against that port first and was fooled--maybe an indication that ident isn't
quite up to par?

This is the last stable release of the 2.0 tree (haven't upgraded yet). I have a
few days to test these, and will again next month (post nessus upgrade
hopefully) if anyone has a suggested fix/improvement.

Thanks
-Sullo

--

http://www.cirt.net/      |     http://www.osvdb.org/