Re: [Plugins-writers] smb_func.inc and older Nessus

From: Renaud Deraison (deraison@private)
Date: Tue Mar 22 2005 - 13:31:52 PST

On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 03:20:30PM -0600, MadHat wrote:
> Is there a list of improvements of 2.2 over 2.0?  I know I can go
> through the change logs, but if it is already listed it would make my
> life easier.  Justification for management for upgrading something that
> works.

In a nutshell :

- Better KB management (KB items are stored in a hash table instead of
  a linked list, arbitrary amounts of data can be stored instead of 65k
  per item) ;

- Better inter-process communication (Nessus communicates with itself in
  a much more robust way. In 2.0.x IPC was CPU intensive and had no
  robust delivery mecanism) ;

- Built-in crypto functions which make possible the implementation of
  SSH in NASL ;

- Changes in the NASL syntax : more functions and a change in the way
  functions handle anonymous arguments have been introduced in 2.2.x.
  When we start using this syntax for some scripts, they won't work
  with 2.0.x ;

- Support for signed NASL checks which can execute local commands and
  are used in lieu of all the .nes plugins ;

- Reduced CPU usage in the scheduler (2.2.4 only) ;

Finally, the killer argument is :

- 2.2.x is maintained, whereas 2.0.x is not. There are subtle bugs
  in the 2.x SSL code which may cause incomplete reads and as a result
  may produce false negatives, and it won't be fixed in 2.0.x.

				-- Renaud