[Plugins-writers] broken or fake server detection

From: Michel Arboi (mikhail@private)
Date: Tue Jun 14 2005 - 12:27:32 PDT

I first wrote fake_MTA et fake_ftpd to detect fake SMTP or FTP servers,
e.g. backdoors installed by misc worms. They check that the remote
server speaks the SMTP or FTP protocol correctly, and does not accept
silly commands. It seems that they may be helpful to detect "broken"
or misconfigured servers.
*However*, I am afraid that they can trigger against real servers
(especially "paranoid" ones like filtering proxies). So this might not
be a good idea and if they are commited to the repository, I suggest
that they stay "experimental" for a while.
fake_MTA might be OK, fake_FTPD looks suspicious.

Finally, I wrote fake_3digits which is much simpler and would be less
dangerous, IMHO.

Comments & tests appreciated.