Re: [Plugins-writers] nessus config params available for plugins?

From: Jan-Oliver Wagner (jan@private)
Date: Fri Aug 12 2005 - 03:40:29 PDT

On Fri, Aug 12, 2005 at 10:49:46AM +0200, Renaud Deraison wrote:
> On Aug 10, 2005, at 16:28, Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:
> >I would love to see a plugin that produces a security
> >note or warning in the case when nasl_no_signature_checks
> >has been enabled.
>
> What would be the point of that ? Nessus is designed to audit a
> network, not waste time auditing itself.

well, doing an audit I'd appreciate to know some quality measures of
the tool's configuration I am using. One aspect e.g. is whether I use
the limited gpl-feed or the comprehensive registered feed
(there is a plugin for this).
Another quality aspect (at least for me) is whether only
trusted plugins are executed or whether no trust-check happens.

I could think of another one: date when the last fetch-update
happened (e.g. sec. note if its past 7 days, sec. warning if
its past 30 days - replace numbers by something reasonable).

I don't think there will be much more than these few and
I expect no real waste of time compared to running all other plugins.

I was not asking anyone to implement this. I just thought I share
my idea. If its conceptually nonsense, just let me know - after all
I am not a security expert.

Best

	Jan

--