Re: [Plugins-writers] Re: Improving local checks

From: Renaud Deraison (deraison@private)
Date: Mon Mar 27 2006 - 08:15:04 PST

On Mar 27, 2006, at 11:09 AM, PaJohnston@private wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the quick response. Actually, I was using administrator
> credentials. I wonder if something else has gone wrong during the
> scan?

Possibly. It would be interesting to get a pcap trace next time, to
see wether it did access C$ or not.

> When you say Nessus does understand patches being superceded, is
> this only when doing file version checks?

Both. However when doing file version checks, we don't have to go
thru the older bulletins (version N + 1 is always newer than version
N), while we have to when doing registry-based checks, and because
superceeding patches is transitive (if N supercedes M and M
supercedes O, then N supercedes O) this caused the problem you saw.
It's now fixed in CVS.

Thanks,

						-- Renaud