Re: [Plugins-writers] Misleading Solution for Plugin 17598

From: Erik Stephens (erik@private)
Date: Thu Aug 17 2006 - 18:40:01 PDT

On Aug 17, 2006, at 1:48 PM, George A. Theall wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 17, 2006 at 12:52:44PM -0700, Erik Stephens wrote:
>
>> I came across a 2.3.5 version of eKayako that is still vulnerable.
>
> Have you tried the exploit manually to confirm it is indeed
> vulnerable?

Yes, it is definitely vulnerable.

>   http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/393946
>   http://forums.kayako.com/showthread.php?t=2689
>
> The second is the vendor's announcement of the 2.3.1 release. While
> that
> offers no specifics, it does credit "James from GulfTech" as
> discovering
> the flaws that are being fixed.
>
> Btw, when Bercegay released his advisory on 12/18/2004, there was no
> solution available at the time; eg, see:
>
>   http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/384882
>
> although he anticipated one "soon". Compare that with a subsequent
> advisory:
>
>   http://www.gulftech.org/?node=research&article_id=00092-07302005
>
> which mentions Kayako developers asking for 3 months to resolve some
> later issues.
>
>> How to solve?
>
> Assuming the flaw does indeed exist and you're really looking at
> 2.3.5,
> I think the best thing would be to contact the vendor. Perhaps the
> issue
> was reintroduced after being fixed?

Will do.  Four releases and almost 2 years seems like a long time to
address simple XSS vulns - it's not that difficult to escape what
needs escaping.  I will contact them to get the definitive scoop and
let you know what the plugin should say, regarding the solution section.

Thanks,
Erik