FC: Epilogue: Federal worker fired over web map of Arctic caribou

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue Apr 17 2001 - 09:33:19 PDT

    Remember Ian Thomas? He's the scientist who said he got fired by the Bush
    administration last month because his research into the Arctic National
    Wildlife Refuge was politically unpalatable. In a widely-distributed email
    message at the time, Thomas depicted himself as a sober researcher: "One of
    the biggest collections of maps online... certainly the biggest collection
    showing maps of biodiversity... a high-level political decision to set an
    example to other Federal scientists... I made no statement about what the
    maps might mean with regard to oil development of the refuge."

    A month later, Thomas is now showing what appear to be his true colors:
    He's an activist more interested in taking on the Bush administration than
    conducting sober research. His latest email appeal to supporters, attached
    below: "I promise to make very good use of any maps you send in the fight
    to save the refuge... make people more aware of the threat that oil
    drilling poses... also to support the Gwich'in Nation in their fight
    against oil drilling in the refuge."

    Now, Thomas may have been fired unjustly, and it may even be a good idea to
    bar all oil drilling in the refuge. But the story is not quite as
    forthright as it first seemed. Background:
    http://www.politechbot.com/cgi-bin/politech.cgi?name=caribou

    -Declan