FC: Feds question woman after she emails homophobic politician

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue Apr 17 2001 - 21:47:20 PDT

    *********

    Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 22:54:51 -0500
    From: Morris Cornell-Morgan <mcornellat_private>
    To: declanat_private
    Subject: "Woman Questioned Over Email To Homophobic Legislator"

    Declan-

    	I originally saw this on soc.youth.support.gay-lesbian-bi and thought
    you might be interested.  The incident that provoked the e-mail is
    detailed at
    http://www.youth.org/loco/PERSONProject/Alerts/States/Florida/antigay.html
    and continued at
    http://www.youth.org/loco/PERSONProject/Alerts/States/Florida/legislator.html

    -Morris
    http://www.bloomington.in.us/~yamahaha/

    http://www.youth.org/loco/PERSONProject/Alerts/States/Florida/questioned.html

    Associated Press, April 17, 2001

    Secret Service questions woman about e-mail sent to lawmakers

    PENSACOLA, Fla. (AP) -- A woman upset at a state lawmaker for
    criticizing four gay activists was questioned by two U.S.
    Secret Service agents after she sent the legislator, Gov. Jeb Bush and
    President Bush a scathing e-mail about the comments.

    Margaret Richards, a 58-year-old seamstress, said she sent Rep. Allen
    Trovillion an e-mail saying a firing squad would be
    lenient punishment for making the comments and blaming him for helping
    "appoint a dictator to the White House."

    Richards said she sent carbon copies of the message to the governor and
    President. The two agents then went to her house
    Saturday and asked her if she belonged to a terrorist group, owned any
    weapons or had ever been committed to a mental
    institution, she said.

    "I was floored," Richards said. "When they showed up at the door, the
    first thing I thought was, 'This must be a joke."'

    Richards also said the agents searched her house, photographed her and
    convinced her to sign a waiver that lets them check her
    medical records.

    [...]