FC: Politech may have helped Vietnamese laborers gain asylum

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Sun Apr 22 2001 - 14:52:44 PDT

    *********

    Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 09:43:47 -0700 (PDT)
    From: "Tuyet A. N. Tran" <tatn2000at_private>
    Subject: Fwd: Re: Samoa report
    To: declanat_private

    Hi Declan,

    I thought you might enjoy knowing that your
    politech-bot list in a roundabout way connecting some
    people who provide help and release a group of
    Vietnamese laborers from their indentured status.

    A few months past, one of your subscribers [American]
    contacted me asking if I knew of any VN-American
    organizations that could help addressing his concern
    for a group of Vietnamese laborers who had been hired
    and sent to work in the Samoa Island [as it turned
    out, they didn't get pay for quite some time]. The
    upshot was that he managed to alert quite a few
    official authorities from State-side to report this
    situation. The story was finally reported in
    mainstream news media earlier this month. Surprisingly
    there are more to this incident since it's not exactly
    an isolated case.

    My only humane civic duty is to now share this update
    with you, that's all.

    Tuyet