FC: Recording industry changes its tune: Claims it wouldn't sue

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Fri Apr 27 2001 - 10:59:55 PDT

    This is a big change from the RIAA/SDMI letter earlier this month
    (http://www.politechbot.com/p-01946.html), which says:

    >I urge you to reconsider your intentions and to refrain from any public
    >disclosure of confidential information derived from the Challenge... [it]
    >could subject you and your research team to actions under the Digital
    >Millennium Copyright Act ("DCMA")... would constitute a violation of the
    >Agreement and would subject your research team to enforcement actions
    >under the DMCA and possibly other federal laws.

    Also note that the press release below carefully does not say anything
    about Verance and whether that company would still contemplate a lawsuit or
    not. I'm inviting Verance to clarify its current position.

    -Declan

    *******

    http://riaa.com/PR_story.cfm?id=407

            Statement by Matthew Oppenheim on Professor Felten

            The Secure Digital Music Initiative Foundation (SDMI) does
            not - nor did it ever - intend to bring any legal action
            against Professor Felten or his co-authors. We sent the
            letter because we felt an obligation to the watermark
            licensees who had voluntarily submitted their valuable
            inventions to SDMI for testing.

            For the record, the Recording Industry Association of
            America, one of the founding members of SDMI, strongly
            believes in academic freedom and Freedom of Speech. This
            issue, however, is about the competing interests of
            scientists - those of the watermark technology companies
            that have invented new technologies and those of Professor
            Felton who seeks to describe how to circumvent those
            technologies. To that end, we have encouraged Professor
            Felten and the technology companies to resolve this matter.
            We leave it in their hands to do so.

            Further questions should be directed to Verance at 858-677-
            6522