FC: An American teacher's diary about experiences in China

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue May 01 2001 - 21:29:16 PDT

    ***********

    Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 20:26:12 -0400
    From: " Scullyat_private" <Scullyat_private>
    To: <declanat_private>
    Subject: American Teacher's Experiences In China

    Journal of An American In China  ....May 01.2001

    Once in a great while some of us are given the opportunity to share our
    unique experiences with others.  An anonymous American English teacher who
    has been in China since this January has graciously agreed to share his
    journal with
    others about his stay in China.  If we are really lucky, he may share
    future journal entries with Cipherwar.  Either way, we should all be
    thankful for this opportunity to gain insight that we may never have had
    otherwise.

    *** PGP Signature Status: good
    *** Signer: intelactat_private
    *** Signed: 4/29/2001 7:55:01 PM
    *** Verified: 4/29/2001 9:56:49 PM
    *** BEGIN PGP DECRYPTED/VERIFIED MESSAGE ***

    Things have been, at the very least, a bit interesting lately. Last night
    at about 8PM some policemen banged on my door. "Jing cha! Perlice!"

    At home with a twisted ankle, I had been spending the last couple of weeks
    perusing sites that had everything to do with hacking, and the China/US
    situation. Hackers who stole the RMB equivalent of $30,000 were sentenced
    to death in China not too long ago.

    I opened the door and they walked right into my apartment. I went directly
    to the phone, and called the head principal of the school I'm teaching
    English at, who said he has a lot of connections in the government and if
    anything happens I should call him.

    I handed the receiver to one of the cops and they got on the phone. After a
    short conversation in Chinese, I kept asking, Why are you here? Do you
    speak English?" One of them dumbly responded, "Yes, I understand." "Okay,
    so, why are you here?" "Yes," he said again. "FORGET IT" I thought, and the
    phone rang again. Another heated discussion in Chinese, and the policeman
    with the phone said "Hey" -- about all the English he knew -- and motioned
    for me to get on the phone. I took the receiver and said "Hello?"

    For the full journal entry, please see:
    http://cipherwar.com/news/01/liberator_0501.htm