FC: More on software glitch causing Osprey aircraft to crash

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue May 15 2001 - 07:57:16 PDT

    *********

    From: Bockhorst Roland Civ AMC/SAS <Roland.Bockhorstat_private>
    To: "'declanat_private'" <declanat_private>
    Subject: RE: Software problems apparently caused Osprey aircraft crash
    Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 20:08:27 -0500

    Declan;

    With a little background in flight controls software I offer my humble
    opinion.

    The software should have:
    Detected airborne state upon receipt of reset signal and, at best, performed
    an abbreviated self test and not commanded the nacelle excursion.
    The pilot incorrectly believed in the reset button.
    Receipt of a reset command on the ground could result in self test that
    could take seconds to perform.

    Required control system gain changes necessitated by a mechanical gain
    change due to hydraulic malfunctions were not in the software correctly.

    The software worked as designed and that was inadequate to the flight
    conditions under this particular failure mode.

    'course this speculation of the highest order comes from a few years of
    paying attention.

    Now that they know where there is weakness in the flight envelope, they know
    where to do more software testing.

    Keep up the good work. Your efforts are mightily appreciated.

    (Standard disclaimers)

    Roland

    Roland Bockhorst
    AMC CSS SASP