FC: Australian anarchist hopes to further Assassination Politics

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue May 15 2001 - 14:41:03 PDT

       Online Cincy Cop Threats Probed
       By Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
       2:00 a.m. May 15, 2001 PDT

       WASHINGTON -- Ohio police are investigating alleged threats posted to
       the website of a journalists' collective directed against Steven
       Roach, the policeman whose shooting of an unarmed black man led to
       riots in Cincinnati last month.

       A Hamilton County, Ohio prosecutor has sent the Ohio Valley
       Independent Media Center (IMC) a subpoena for any records relating to
       a post last week titled "Steve Roach, dead man walking."

       The only problem: The admitted author of the post, a self-proclaimed
       anarchist who uses the alias proffrat_private, lives in rural
       central Victoria, Australia.

       In a telephone interview, "proffr" said he is trying to further the
       ideas of Jim Bell, author of the controversial Assassination Politics
       essay who was convicted in April of two counts of threatening federal
       officials.

       Bell's essay, written about five years ago, is a thought experiment
       describing a system designed to intimidate lawless police and
       politicians by outlining a method through which they could be
       assassinated. Proffr calls his version Operation Soft Drill, a term
       Bell also used, and says he wants to intimidate police and corporate
       polluters into respecting human rights.

       "I'm here out in the open," proffr said. "I'm putting forth the basic
       James Bell dream, which is that people can put forth freedom on the
       Internet. This is a tool that was lying on the ground and I picked it
       up."

       [...]