FC: Does .biz "lottery" violate the law? FTC stays mum...

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Wed May 16 2001 - 16:55:56 PDT

    I wish Russ well, but doubt he'll get anywhere. :)

    News coverage of ICANN deal:
    http://www.thestandard.com/article/0,1902,24500,00.html
    http://www.newsbytes.com/news/01/165717.html
    http://www.newsbytes.com/news/01/165733.html
    http://www.icannwatch.org/article.php?sid=149
    http://www.wired.com/news/ebiz/0,1272,43805,00.html

    -Declan

    *********

    From: adminat_private (Admin)
    To: <declanat_private>
    Subject: .biz Lottery illegal?
    Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 19:16:07 -0400

    .biz is going to be released in a "lottery" fashion where you must pay in
    order to be put into a pool for each domain.  The price for this "ticket" is
    non-refundable.  I have contacted the FTC a couple of times to ask id this
    is an illegal lottery.  First they referred me to ICANN.  then they referred
    me to the Department of Justice and claimed they did not have any contacts
    they could provide.  I am being charged a wholesale price of $3 per "ticket"
    to get a chance at getting any individual domain.

    Russ Smith
    http://TheNic.com