FC: PFF paper advises new FCC commissioners to deregulate now

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Fri May 18 2001 - 09:00:13 PDT

    From: Randy May <rmayat_private>
    To: "Declan McCullagh (E-mail)" <declanat_private>
    Subject: FCC Reform Agenda
    Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 10:21:34 -0400

    Declan---

    	With three new FCC commissioners expected to come aboard within a
    couple of weeks, I thought the Politech list might be interested in the
    paper I just released entitled, "A Reform Agenda for the New FCC".  In the
    paper I suggest that in order to carry out the "pro-competitive,
    deregulatory" professed vision of the Telecommunications Act of 1996, the
    new commission should do the following as quickly as possible: 1. Change its
    strategic objective from "market facilitation" to deregulation; 2. Establish
    a technology-neutral deregulatory regime for broadband services; 3. Reduce
    excessive forced facilities-sharing requirements on telecom networks; 4.
    Limit the scope of the "public interest" doctrine; 5. Establish an
    economically efficient regime for intercarrier compensation that gets rid of
    most of the subsidies built in to today's access charge and reciprocal
    compensation regimes.

    	This is an ambitious program and one not easily accomplished.  But
    the Commission must achieve real movement in this direction if we are going
    to have communications policies approppriate for the digital age.  The full
    paper may be found at http://www.pff.org/POP8.9ReformAgendaFCC.pdf

    	Thanks.
    	Randy

    Randolph J. May
    Senior Fellow and Director of Communications Policy Studies
    The Progress & Freedom Foundation
    1301 K Street, NW
    Suite 550 East
    Washington, DC 20005