FC: More on Europe recording phone calls, Net traffic for 7 years

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Fri May 18 2001 - 20:30:37 PDT

    *********

    Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 10:18:33 -0400
    To: declanat_private, politechat_private
    From: Marc Rotenberg <rotenbergat_private>
    Subject: Re: FC: Europe weighs recording all phone calls, Net traffic for
      7 yrs

    Declan -

    It is worth noting the European privacy commissioners have
    expressed strong opposition to similar proposals in the
    past. Most recently the privacy commissioners expressed
    opposition to the record retention requirements in the
    COE Cyber-Crime convention.

    Opinion 4/2001 on the Council of Europe's Draft
    Convention on Cyber Crime

    http://www.europa.eu.int/comm/internal_market/en/media/dataprot/wpdocs/wp41en.htm

    Marc Rotenberg.