FC: Update on the legal status of web links, from OJR.org

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Sat May 26 2001 - 09:02:25 PDT

    We've had extensive discussions here over the years about linking. See:
    http://www.politechbot.com/cgi-bin/politech.cgi?name=linking

    -Declan

    **********

    Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 12:02:21 -0700 (PDT)
    From: "Joshua S. Fouts" <fouts@rcf-fs.usc.edu>
    To: Declan McCullagh <declanat_private>
    Subject: Impermissible Links

    Hi Declan,

    Thought you might be interested in this discussion we just posted about
    the current legal state of linking.

    Impermissible Links
    http://ojr.usc.edu/content/story.cfm?request=584

    Linking is critical to the success of the Internet as we know it. However,
    the importance of linking to the online community may never reach a
    reasonable decision by the courts. Why? Because litigants are interested
    advocates, who may not want the court to fully understand the implications
    of the technology.

    Best,

    Josh

    Joshua S. Fouts