FC: Scientology critic seeks asylum in Canada, reportedly arrested

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Mon May 28 2001 - 17:22:42 PDT

    Some quick searches turned up no news articles about Henson's reported
    arrest. Background:
    http://www.politechbot.com/cgi-bin/politech.cgi?name=henson
    http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2001/05/23/henson/index.html

    -Declan

    **********

    From: xenuat_private
    Date: 28 May 2001 21:56:06 -0000
    Subject: Henson arrested by heavily-armed swarm of police in Toronto

    This might be good to forward to media only, especially Keith's lawyer's
    contact info which should NOT be posted to ars at the moment lest it cause
    a firestorm of calls.

    (I presume the jail at Oakland, or wherever they send immigration prisoners,
    is where Keith is now.  His lawyer could help on that, but only to media, not
    to alt.religion.scientology or wide fora.)

    Here's the flash, minimal as it is.  I won't email anyone updates
    unless they explicitly express further interest.

    [Snip]  One of Keiths lawyers has just spoken to Keith and Immigration.
    This is the situation:
      An Immigration warrant waas issued for Keiths Arrest
    For failure to declare to Immigration, when Keith entered Canada on May 12

    ---

    Apparently, Henson was arrested by heavily-armed police at a shopping
    mall.  His spiritual adviser Gregg Hagglund (or whatever you want to call
    him ;-)
    is taking him a red cross care package and may be visiting him for a while.
    I think he's incommunicado for a bit.

    There is a bail hearing tomorrow on this and then we'll find out exactly
    what's up.

    The SNAFU here (and the basic clusterfuck) is that his lawyer Guidy
    Mamann was poised to file the necessary papers tomorrow.

    Who knows what will happen?  Deportation is almost the best case,
    with additional charges entirely possible, depending on whether or
    not the arrest was based on entirely bogus information.

    (Henson did not enter Canada as a "fugitive," though a bench warrant
    was issued on May 18, six days after he entered Canada.)

    Here's Keith's counsel information from a press release by Gregg
    Hagglund.

      Mr. Guidy Mamann
    gmanat_private

    of Mamann & Associates.
    www.migrationlaw.com

    74 Victoria Street, Suite 303
    Toronto, Canada M5C 2A5
    [phone number deleted per request. --DBM]

    And Keith's own contact information

    Keith Henson
    c/o
    Temple of At'L'An
    Refugee Committee
    2237 Munns Ave.
    Oakville Ontario
    Canada
    L6H 3M9

    email atlanat_private
    Telephone: 905-844-6216

    Henson's reluctant American counsel:

    James J. Harr
    of James O. Cripps
    Suite 4
    PO Box 3540
    133 N Buena Vista
    Hemet, California 92343

    Phone:  (909) 925-5024
    Fax:  (909) 652-2250

    Henson's former counsel Graham Berry
    email: GrahamEBat_private

    Riverside Press-Enterprise Reporter Erin Randolph
    Email: erandolphat_private
    (909) 487-5229

    Websites featuring information on the case

    http://freehenson.da.ru (a redirector which will always
    point at the current home of the site)
    http://www.operatingthetan.com
    Current home of the Free Keith Henson site
    NOTE that all references to http://freehenson.tripod.com are
    permanently broken as I have no intention of ever using Tripod
    for anything of any kind ever again
    Point instead to http://freehenson.da.ru or http://www.operatingthetan.com

    http://cryptome.org
    This one might be responsible for the Slashdot one and I'm greatly
    pleased with it.

    http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/05/17/0238223&mode=thread
    Slashdot thread on Henson situation

    http://www.politechbot.com/cgi-bin/politech.cgi?name=henson
    A nicely selected and bandwidth-friendly distillation of some of the
    most critical material which has been posted to Declan McCullagh's
    well-regarded politech list