FC: More on Democrats kvetching about "cyberlibertarians" and spam

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue Jun 05 2001 - 21:08:19 PDT

    ********
    Background:
    http://www.politechbot.com/p-02106.html
    http://www.politechbot.com/cgi-bin/politech.cgi?name=spam
    ********

    From: "Dave McClure" <dmcclureat_private>
    To: <declanat_private>
    Subject: RE: Democrats kvetch about "cyberlibertarian" opposition to spam laws
    Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 16:14:43 -0400

    Declan:

    USIIA also has opposed HR 718, and we're hardly libertarian either.  It is,
    quite simply, a badly composed bill.

    Dave McClure
    USIIA

    ********

    Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 19:32:31 -0400
    To: declanat_private
    From: Alan Davidson <abdat_private>
    Subject: Re: FC: Democrats kvetch about "cyberlibertarian" opposition to
      spam laws

    Hi, Declan,

    The harm in PPI's proposal stems from their defense, "It would apply to all
    spam, but to spam only." PPI's argument about spam is a lot like Potter
    Stewart's argument about pornography: They know it when they see it. But in
    fact most legislative proposals on spam have a sweeping definition of
    "commercial" that could include email from non-profit or political sites
    that offer items for sale or seek donations. For that reason we need to
    tread very carefully when imposing mandatory labelling requirements that
    may prevent this content from being seen.

    For example, I've received postal mail from Amnesty International that
    includes detailed descriptions of human rights abuses. I suspect that some
    of those depictions could even be considered "harmful to minors" in some
    jurisdictions - though they are lawful and constitutionally-protected
    speech for adults. Since Amnesty's website includes such "commercial
    purposes" as selling publications and soliciting donations, it could easily
    fall under the ambit of these spam restrictions. Should political speakers
    like this be forced to put a "porn" or "adv" label on their email calls for
    support - and risk being blocked by most ISPs? Such a requirement does hurt
    speech online, and is likely to tie this legislation up in the courts like
    every other Net content regulation law before it.

    The anti-spoofing proposals put forward, while imperfect, seem to be a far
    more appropriate remedy. They give readers the ability to talk back -
    perhaps in strong terms - to those who send unsolicited email. I suspect we
    might find that anti-spoofing requirements for unsolicited commercial email
    are a very powerful remedy that puts the onus on the senders of unsolicited
    email to be polite and show restraint - or suffer the backlash of a
    thousand mailbombs.

    Best,

    Alan

    Alan Davidson, Associate Director            202.637.9800 (v)
    Center for Democracy and Technology          202.637.0968 (f)
    1634 Eye St. NW, Suite 1100                  <abdat_private>
    Washington, DC 20006                         http://www.cdt.org

    ********