FC: More on SurfControl and its opposition to mandatory filtering

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Wed Jun 06 2001 - 15:24:18 PDT

    And from the politech archives:

    "Conservative groups oppose mandatory library filtering"
    http://www.politechbot.com/p-01424.html

    Background on Cyberpatrol and its parent company's threats against Politech:
    http://www.politechbot.com/cyberpatrol/

    From: "D. Ian Hopper" <ihopperat_private>
    To: <declanat_private>
    Subject: RE: SurfControl says it opposes mandatory filtering in libraries
    Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 09:34:09 -0400

    That's not news. Susan Getgood has been saying that from the very beginning:

    aD77Q92980 10-23-2000 15:27:33
    Internet filter limitations at odds with youth-protection bill
    ^By D. IAN HOPPER=
    ^Associated Press Writer=
    ¶   WASHINGTON (AP) _ The Internet-filtering software pushed by Congress to
    protect children from smut online is blocking far more than pornography. It
    accidentally screens out innocent content like a Virginia lawyer's home page
    and a Texas home inspector's Web site.
    ¶   The software's uneven performance puts a snag in the politically
    attractive solution that Congress is trying to include in an education
    spending bill before it adjourns.
    ¶   The measure's supporters admit the tools aren't perfect and want
    communities also to study other ways to combat child pornography on the
    World Wide Web.
    ¶   "We need to make sure we're looking at the whole issue and everything
    that's out there. Filters won't be a cure-all," said Melissa Sabatine, a
    spokeswoman for Sen. Rick Santorum, R-Pa., co-sponsor of the legislation.
    ¶   The White House and civil liberties groups worried about free-speech
    implications of filtering oppose the measure, as does, ironically, the maker
    of the most popular Internet filter. The bill's specific language impedes
    innovation, the company called SurfCONTROL contends.
    ¶   "Things that mandate specific technologies probably aren't the best
    solution here. Let the free market decide, and let us improve these products
    all the time," said Susan Getgood, a SurfCONTROL vice president.
    ¶   SurfCONTROL owns the two most-used filtering tools, CyberPatrol and
    SurfWatch. Its technology also powers America Online's Web filter.
    ¶   "My chief criticism is that I don't think it's necessary because schools
    are already doing what they need to do to protect their students," Getgood
    said.