FC: Canada reportedly grants "refugee" status to Scientology critic

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Fri Jun 08 2001 - 13:42:37 PDT

    Background:
    http://www.politechbot.com/cgi-bin/politech.cgi?name=henson
    ---

    From: xenuat_private
    Date: 8 Jun 2001 20:31:34 -0000
    Subject: [henson] FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:  Henson free

    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

    ===

    Today in Toronto, California free speech activist Keith
    Kenson won a stunning victory in the first stage of his
    application for refugee status in Canada.

    Henson, an American, fled the US fearing fears that he would
    be persecuted in prison after being convicted for his public
    criticism of the church of scientology. He was convicted
    under an obscure clause of California law that forbids
    "interfering with a religion."

    "I'm just glad to be out and in Canada," says Henson from
    the home of his sponsor, Toronto Scientology critic Gregg
    Hagglund.

    Henson was detained for more than a week after Church of
    Scientology officials in Toronto complained to Immigration
    about his presence in Canada and depicted him as
    "dangerous". Today, he was released and his application for
    refugee status was accepted.

    Henson was represented by the law firm of Mamman and
    Associates. Decision about that status might take
    up to two years.

    For the present, Henson will remain in Toronto. He says he's
    not going to stop fighting what he sees as injustices
    perpetrated by the cult.

    " I was calling attention to scientology's callous disregard for
    human life." says Henson. "I just wish I'd been able to do it in my
    own country."

    For more information, please contact Keith Henson or Gregg
    Hagglund or counsel Guidy Mamann of Mamann & Associates
    or by visiting the Free Henson website at
    http://www.operatingthetan.com

    Contact information:

    Keith Henson c/o Gregg Hagglund
    Email: elrond1at_private