FC: Ashcroft tells Congress he'll take hard line on porn, piracy

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Sat Jun 09 2001 - 10:07:57 PDT

    Excerpts from hearing transcript:
    http://www.cluebot.com/article.pl?sid=01/06/08/2143247&mode=thread

       Ashcroft's Hard Line on Hardcore
       By Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
       2:00 a.m. June 9, 2001 PDT

       WASHINGTON -- Look out, Internet sextrepreneurs: John Aschroft wants
       you to serve hard time.

       In explicit terms, the attorney general told Congress this week that
       hardcore sex sites would no longer be selling peeks at
       balloon-breasted babes.

       "I am concerned about obscenity and I'm concerned about obscenity as
       it relates to our children," Ashcroft said in his first appearance
       before the House Judiciary Committee.

       He said Justice Department prosecutors would help state officials
       imprison sex-site operators that feature obscene images: "We try to be
       especially accommodating to local law enforcement to assist them, and
       I would think that would be an objective of ours in this respect."

       A number of Republicans asked Ashcroft to pledge to prosecute raunch
       and ribaldry, but Rep. Bob Goodlatte of Virginia -- who also,
       unbelievably, is co-chair of the Internet Caucus -- was the most
       persistent.

       "The failure of the (Clinton) administration to enforce those laws has
       led to a proliferation of obscenity, both online and off," Goodlatte
       said. "And I am particularly concerned about the safety of our
       children on the Internet, where they're subjected to child pornography
       and solicitation in a massive way."

       [...]