FC: Rep. Armey asks Justice Department to rethink Carnivore's use

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Thu Jun 14 2001 - 07:57:01 PDT

    Background:
    http://www.politechbot.com/cgi-bin/politech.cgi?name=carnivore
    http://www.politechbot.com/cgi-bin/politech.cgi?name=armey
    ---

    Majority Leader Armey is sending a letter this morning to Attorney General
    Ashcroft asking him to respond to the privacy concerns raised by the
    Carnivore cybersnooping system.

    Richard Diamond
    Office of the Majority Leader
    US House of Representatives
    202-225-6007 / www.freedom.gov

    June 14, 2001

    The Honorable John Ashcroft
    U.S. Department of Justice
    950 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W.
    Washington, DC 20530-0001

    Dear Attorney General Ashcroft,

    On Monday, the U.S. Supreme Court issued a landmark ruling regarding law
    enforcement's use of technology. The Court ruled that thermal imaging
    devices allowed "police technology to erode the privacy guaranteed by the
    Fourth Amendment." In particular, the Court held in Kyllo v. United States
    that use of electronic devices to gather information that would not
    otherwise be available constitutes a search:
    Where... the Government uses a device that is not in general public use, to
    explore details of a private home that would previously have been
    unknowable without physical intrusion, the surveillance is a Fourth
    Amendment "search," and is presumptively unreasonable without a warrant.
    It is reasonable, then, to ask whether the Internet surveillance system
    formerly known as "Carnivore" similarly undermines the minimum expectation
    that individuals have that their personal electronic communications will
    not be examined by law enforcement devices unless a specific court warrant
    has been issued.

    Your predecessor, Attorney General Janet Reno, reluctantly undertook a
    review of Carnivore last year in an attempt to address these
    concerns.  That review, however, seemed to raise more questions about the
    system than it answered.  The review team ultimately selected was found to
    have clear political ties to the Clinton Administration.  According to
    media accounts, most major universities declined even to participate in the
    review proposal process due to questions about its objectivity.  And, not
    surprisingly, they delivered a report restating the previous
    Administration's position on the system.

    Because I am confident that you will take a much more constructive approach
    to this issue, I wanted to share my privacy concern with you directly. I
    believe the FBI is making a good-faith effort to fight crime in the most
    efficient way possible. But I also believe the Founders quite clearly
    decided to sacrifice that kind of efficiency for the sake of protecting
    citizens from the danger of an overly intrusive government.

    I respectfully ask that you consider the serious constitutional questions
    Carnivore has raised and respond with how you intend to address them.  This
    is an issue of great importance to the online public.

    I look forward to working constructively with you on this and many other
    issues in the coming years.

                                             Sincerely,
                                             DICK ARMEY
                                             House Majority Leader