FC: Interview with cynical privacy auditor, from U.S. News & WR

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Sat Jun 23 2001 - 11:31:46 PDT

    Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 17:54:47 -0400
    To: declanat_private
    From: dana hawkins <dhawkinsat_private>
    Subject: privacy guru tells all

    a hotel shares lists of movie titles--including pornos--and the names of
    the customers who rent them, a chatroom for disgruntled workers sells the
    names of "anonymous" participants to their employers, and a drug company
    hires telemarketers who search the patient database for sport...in this
    week's magazine, larry ponemon, the country's former premier privacy
    auditor, blows the whistle on companies like these that just don't care
    about your privacy.

    here's the link:
    http://www.usnews.com/usnews/issue/010625/tech/privacy.htm
    (you'll find the actual text at the end of this email.)

    and here's the link to my webpage, with dozens of stories in the areas of
    workplace, finanacial, internet, and medical privacy:
    http://www.usnews.com/usnews/nycu/tech/teprivacy.htm

    as always, please let me know if you want your name removed from this list.

    best,
    dana

    6/25/01
    Gospel of privacy guru: Be
    wary; assume the worst

    By Dana Hawkins

    Larry Ponemon is the ultimate privacy insider. Formerly the
    nation's premier auditor of corporate online privacy
    policies, he has uncovered hundreds of breaches.
    Ponemon, frustrated with how often clients ignored the audit
    results, recently left Pricewaterhouse- Coopers and is
    forming a privacy and technology consulting firm. U.S.
    News asked him to share his war stories:

    Which audit surprised you the most?

    Probably the national hotel chain that shares lists of movie
    titles­including pornos­rented by its customers. While the
    name of the movie isn't on the bill, it is included in the customer profile. I
    saw one that said Debbie Does Dallas Again­right there
    with the customer's name. These data are shared with their
    many affiliates, including other hotels and restaurants. If you
    have a history of watching porn in their hotels, you may notice
    that they're offering you a greater porn selection, geared
    toward your tastes. As far as I know, they never fixed it.

    What, exactly, are customer profiles, and how accurate
    are they?

    Customer profiles look like a big data dump: your name,
    address, where you shop online and offline, your purchases,
    an estimate of your income, your surfing history, and more.
    There's an 85 percent error rate in customer profiles. That's
    huge. One of our clients was a national diagnostics
    laboratory that sells the results of medical tests­blood work,
    biopsies, DNA screens. From the results, they try to
    determine your healthcare needs. Say you don't have AIDS
    but are taking a drug that's also used to treat it. They could
    incorrectly conclude you have AIDS, put that in your profile,
    and sell your data to a hospice. Their profiles were riddled
    with those kinds of errors. After the audit, the CEO said:
    "Thanks. Great audit." As far as I know, they continued doing
    the same thing.

    Did the audits ever spark change?

    Occasionally. A major pharmaceutical company hired
    telemarketers to call patients at home to remind them to get
    their prescriptions refilled. We discovered their employees
    were looking up people they knew for sport. One woman
    discovered that her baby sitter took antidepressants. She
    panicked and called her husband, who called this woman's
    husband. The company did the right thing and devoted a lot
    of resources to "anonymizer" technology so their employees
    wouldn't know the name of the person they were calling.

    How often did your clients post the audit results?

    Of the nearly 300 audits we conducted over three years, only
    a handful were ever posted. As an auditor, you reach the
    conclusion that it's pretty awful out there. The invasions of
    privacy usually stemmed from ignorance, although in a few
    cases the companies were truly evil.

    Tell us about one of those.

    One company we audited provides job-hunting services and
    also has a chat room for disgruntled employees. In their
    privacy policy they said posters were anonymous. We were
    shocked to learn they weren't. In fact, the company was going
    to these employers and saying: "Your workers are whining on
    our site. Do you want to hire us to track them for you?" One
    of the employees got so frustrated she went into the chat
    room and posted: "Warning: Your data is being tracked and
    sold!" It was an absolute breach of consumer trust. We wrote
    a scathing audit. Of course, they never posted it, and we
    didn't hear back from them.

    Which of your clients impressed you?

    The travel Web site Expedia.com. We identified their
    problems; they changed the way they did business, and
    posted our audit. There's an incredible amount of data in
    your travel profile. So they improved security and created a
    sophisticated way to anonymize data. Web browsing activity
    tells you a lot, so they chose not to collect it­even though it's
    invaluable. They spent millions because they understand
    their business strategy depends upon consumer trust and
    loyalty.

    What's the bottom line for consumers?

    Most companies don't take privacy seriously. The general
    view is: Collect as much data as you can, as quietly as
    possible. It's dirt-cheap to store, and you never know when
    it'll come in handy. I still use the Internet, but I'm more
    cautious. I won't share any medical data or do financial
    planning online. I'll use my credit card only if I think the privacy
    policy is reasonable, but I assume the worst.

    Dana Hawkins, Senior Editor
    U.S. News & World Report
    1050 Thomas Jefferson St., NW
    Washington, D.C. 20007