FC: More on U.K. bans publication of info on toddler's killers

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Sat Jun 23 2001 - 22:35:13 PDT

    Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2001 20:43:53 +0100
    From: David Cantrell <davidat_private>
    To: Declan McCullagh <declanat_private>
    Subject: Re: FC: U.K. bans publication of info on toddler's killers -- forever

    On Sat, Jun 23, 2001 at 02:31:59PM -0400, Declan McCullagh wrote:
     > old are now 18 years old and about to be given new identities by the Crown.
     > To protect them from attempts at revenge, the government has permanently
     > banned the publication of any info about their new identities -- which
     > creates a problem, since photos of them are apparently available and could
     > circulate online. Originally they were convicted to 15 years in prison, but
     > are now have to be released because of a ruling by the European Court of
     > Human Rights. --DBM]

    No, they were originally sentenced to be "detained at her majesty's
    pleasure" and the trial judge recommended eight years.  The popularist
    Home Secretary at the time decided that wasn't enough (although note that
    he didn't make that decision until the tabloid press had been clamouring
    for it) and changed it to fifteen years.  The ECHR ruled that that was
    not valid because politicians should not be involved in sentencing.
    Therefore, the original trial judge's recommendation was used by the
    parole board.

     > http://www.thesun.co.uk/news/13803902
     > BULGER KILLERS GO ON HOLS
     > 2001-06-23 03:28:11
     >
     > Earlier this week it emerged that £1.5million has been spent creating new
     > identities for the boys.

    A figure I have not seen anywhere else, and which I treat with the deepest
    scepticism.

     >                          Both teenagers and their families have been given
     > new names, birth certificates, passports and National Insurance numbers.

    All true, AFAIK.  That's what it takes to manufacture a new identity.
    They need a new identity, as there have been death threats made against
    them.

     > They will also get fully-fitted £65,000 homes with the £270-a-week rent
     > paid.

    Somewhat unlikely, considering that there is property available at MUCH
    lower rents.  And the Scum does not, of course, tell us the source of this
    wild allegation.

     >       On top of that they are in line for free cars, credit cards, police
     > protection and cash handouts for the rest of their lives - all paid for by
     > taxpayers.

    Police protection, yes.  The rest - sounds like utter bollocks.

    I wouldn't believe a word the Sun says.  It is a nasty little right-wing
    tabloid scandal-sheet which loves distorting the facts on those occasions
    when it doesn't just make stuff up to suit its agenda.

    http://www.nationalpost.com/news/world/story.html?f=/stories/20010623/599892.html
     > Toddler's murderers to be freed
     > 2001-06-23 05:45:06
     >
     > The privacy decision in the Bulger case was opposed by some free-speech
     > advocates, who argued it stifled the media's ability to report the news,
     > and by members of victims' rights groups, who say the killers were being
     > granted unusual privileges. "They should take their chances on the streets
     > like every other murderer who is released," said Dee Warner, a spokeswoman
     > for Mothers Against Murder and Aggression, a lobbying group.

    I wonder how this lobby group would react if they were hunted down and
    murdered by vigilantes, as would also certainly happen if their identities
    were not protected.  They are not being granted "unusual privileges" but
    rather are getting the same sort of protection as other people have in the
    past when they are directly threatened.  Figures such as Salman Rushdie.

    --
    David Cantrell | davidat_private | http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david/

           Good advice is always certain to be ignored,
           but that's no reason not to give it            -- Agatha Christie