FC: A sysadmin replies to NYC schools and restrictive web rules

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Mon Jun 25 2001 - 22:26:19 PDT

    [And another note from the NYC teacher who started this thread, below. --DBM]

    **********

    From: mjinksat_private
    Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 13:56:03 -0500
    To: Declan McCullagh <declanat_private>
    Subject: Re: FC: More on web rules and schools -- from a Swiss perspective
    declanat_private on Mon, Jun 25, 2001 at 11:21:08AM -0400

    Hi, Declan.

    As a former sysadmin at a major private US university, I feel the need to
    comment on some of the statements made thus far.  Faculty often clash with
    network administration personnel over these exact issues, and the complaint
    on each side of the fence is always the same: "You do not adequately
    understand our work, and until you do, you should refrain from interfering
    with it."  The point is well made from both perspectives, but since most
    of the discussion thus far has been from the academic side, let me just say
    a few words from the perspective of a systems administration team.

    .edu has been, and continues to be, a well-known fertile field for network
    exploits, as the recent wave of DDoS attacks has illustrated.  It is common
    practice at some institutions to allow faculty, staff and students to plug
    hosts into the Internet by way of the institutional backbone, with little or
    no requirement that the host be administered by qualified personnel.
    Inevitably a number of these hosts are poorly looked after, and end up as
    nuisances to their neighbors near and far.

    It is not my purpose to endorse the New York Board of Education's reported
    policy; on the contrary, it appears that the policy as described here is
    overbroad and ill-considered with respect to the sorts of uses with which NY
    schools are approaching the Internet.  I am also not familiar with Swiss law
    or common practice in Swiss educational systems.  But it is worth noting that
    FrontPage, for example, does have a wretched security record; security may
    also be a concern with various instant messaging protocols; and it is a
    watchword of computer security that any networked application which is not
    well understood by the institution's networking department should be regarded
    with suspicion at best, and probably disallowed if there is a probability
    that the application could act as a conduit for malicous activity.

    It is clearly not in the best interests of any educational institution to
    restrict the flow of information except in the face of overwhelming concerns,
    but recent events could give network administrators cause to argue that
    Internet security is such an overwhelming concern.  A a few thousand poorly-
    supervised hosts can bring down services which millions of people use every
    day.  Nor is the threat strictly limited to extra-institutional targets such
    as Yahoo! and Amazon; many university computers house information, e.g.
    documentation of human rights abuses, which could be used to compromise the
    safety of individuals if it were to somehow fall into the wrong hands amid the
    noise of a series of "prank" traffic such as that seen during DDoS exploits.
    So I submit that improving security in .edu and related domains is in
    everybody's best interest.

    So, what do we do?  Obviously, authors of networked applications must pay
    closer attention to security bugs in their software.  The advent of
    ubiquitous, user-transparent encryption would be a huge boon in this regard
    as well.  But neither of these appear to be on the way any time soon, so in
    the meantime we have to make do with what we have.

    The answer is in the problem: "Until you understand our work."  Educators do
    not want to be bothered with the intricacies of TCP/IP, but they also don't
    trust their appointed proxies when we say that such-and-such an operation is
    dangerous. Nor can they call our bluff when we say "no" too quickly, unless
    they happen to know our jobs better than we do, and it is clear that at least
    some administrative bodies are throwing the baby out with the bath water,
    restricting network traffic to the point that they practically compel network
    users to circumvent security measures in order to get their work done.  This
    situation has been seen in the private sector for years, and in those cases
    where it has been resolved well the process has involved an ongoing dialog
    between the users of the network and those charged with keeping it going.
    Members of both camps must be required to justify their actions to at least
    some standard, and to compromise when their justifications are found wanting.
    Network administrators are usually willing to work out ways of dealing with
    questionable protocols when a reasonable case can be made for their utility
    vs. their dangers, and users of the network must be willing to accept
    reasonable limits on their activities in those cases where an application
    cannot (yet) be run securely.