FC: The new pork: Tech firms ask Feds to pay billions for broadband

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue Jun 26 2001 - 07:06:02 PDT

    [Where's John McCain when you need him? --DBM]

    http://interactive.wsj.com/articles/SB993418457489449631.htm
    #
    #    Tech Industry Seeks Its Salvation         June 25, 2001
    #    In High-Speed Internet Connections
    #
    #    By SCOTT THURM and GLENN R. SIMPSON
    #    Staff Reporters of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
    #
    #    High-tech executives think they've found a cure for the industry's
    #    deepest slump in a decade: High-speed Internet access for
    #    everyone.
    #
    #    For years, telephone and cable-TV companies have been promising
    #    to build high-speed "broadband" networks, which let consumers
    #    and small businesses tap the Internet 20 or 30 times faster than
    #    conventional phone lines, yet the rollout has been slow. There's
    #    little agreement, even within the tech world, on the ground rules
    #    for building such networks, which would cost tens of billions
    #    of dollars. But suddenly the topic has rocketed to the top of
    #    the technology industry's agenda in Washington, where
    #    traditionally distant tech executives are asking for help.
    #
    #    The chairmen of International Business Machines Corp., Intel
    #    Corp., Motorola Inc. and others last week met with key lawmakers
    #    and National Economic Council officials to support bills that
    #    would provide tax credits for building high-speed networks in
    #    rural areas and economically depressed inner cities. Other
    #    executives propose broader tax breaks, comparing broadband
    #    Internet links with the government-financed interstate highway
    #    or rural electric systems.
    #
    #    Likening the task to the 1960s effort to put a man on the moon,
    #    John Chambers, chief executive of Cisco Systems Inc., is asking
    #    that the federal government commit to making broadband connections
    #    available to every home by 2010. A Cisco lobbyist calls the effort
    #    "our No. 1 goal" (although a spokesman says Mr. Chambers doesn't
    #    think the government would be the one to build the network).
    #
    #    Some tech executives argue that extending broadband networks
    #    would help revive the national economy, because tech spending
    #    contributed such a large share of economic growth in recent years.

    [...]