FC: More on Mastercard lawyers threatening Attrition.org over satire

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Thu Jun 28 2001 - 07:29:06 PDT

    [Despite my invitation to send an unedited reply to Politech, I have not
    heard back from Mastercard. Nor, for that matter, has Key West replied.
    --Declan]

    ---

    From: "Thomas Leavitt" <thomasleavittat_private>
    To: declanat_private
    Cc: Jeanne.Hamburgat_private, jerichoat_private,
             theresa.melodyat_private, staffat_private,
             sgamsinat_private, ayde_ayalaat_private
    Subject: Re: FC: Mastercard lawyers threaten Attrition.org over satire site
    Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 20:17:19 -0700

    Declan,

    I wonder if the MasterCard people realize how completely idiotic they
    appear? Do they not bother to research the nature of the sites they launch
    these volley's against? It constantly amazes me that large companies sick
    lawyers on people without any thought to the PR consequences... harassing a
    site with the grassroots reach of attrition.org is nothing short of
    criminally stupid.

    Are they aware of the hundreds of different "parody" versions of their
    commercials floating around the internet, exchanged in hundreds of
    thousands of emails daily, the vast majority of them obscene or
    scatalogical or otherwise referring to something offensive or humiliating
    relative to the person involved? I'm not sure how this plays out in the
    legal field, but it seems to me that a very strong case could be made that
    "priceless" mark is already substantially diluted, and has come to
    represent a generic situation or use - ala "Kleenex" or "Xerox".

    Take a look at this, for example:

    A search on Google.Com in their "image" search section (off Advanced Search
    screen) for "priceless".

    http://images.google.com/images?q=priceless&btnG=Search&site=images

    This yields, let me count:

    1, 2, 3, of the top four images are MC parodies - two with *NO* reference
    at all to MasterCard, a third with a "meta" reference "MasterRace". Two of
    these could be considered "obscene".

    Of the next four images, three are MC parodies, 3 of which use the MC
    symbol trade dress, 2 of which do so in a parodic fashion "TurkeyNecks.Com"
    and
    "MasterHard" (which is at least indecent, if not obscence).

    Of the several remaining four duplicate images which make us of this
    pattern (several of which are no longer public), two of them are clearly
    obscene, and I suspect the rest are. Three make no reference at all to
    MasterCard.

    On the next page returned, there are four non-duplicate images, none of
    which refer to MasterCard, all of which are obscene or scatalogical.

    And, I suspect any person with a fair amount of Internet experience has
    been exposed to numerous examples of this generic pattern over the past few
    years... I recognize almost every image returned by this search from emails
    and URLs sent me by friends and associates.

    Not once is anything returned referring to MasterCard financial services.
    Not once has anyone ever sent me anything referring to MasterCard's
    financial services.

    In short, MasterCard's mark can be demonstrably proven to have already
    experienced substantial dilution and damage due to association with
    obsenity, separate from and prior to attrition.org's activities and the
    items enumerated demonstrate it to have transitioned into "folk" usage in a
    context where the meaning is commonly understood, with no reference to
    MasterCard's at all in many situations. I would suspect that there are many
    people accross the world who have no idea that this pattern of usage
    originated with MasterCard.

    In short, I suggest that MasterCard's lawyers go crawl back in the hole
    they came from, and that corporate America get a clue, and reign in the
    sharks before they wind up getting savaged themselves.

    Regards,
    Thomas Leavitt
    Internet Citizen since 1990