FC: Iowa Attorney General Tom Miller on MS: We still want a breakup

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Thu Jun 28 2001 - 15:28:18 PDT

    [BTW I will be on NBC's evening news tonight, I believe airing as early as
    6:30 PM ET -- you get to see a view of my living room -- and CNN three
    times tomorrow morning starting at 7:15, during which they'll take emailed
    questions from viewers. --Declan]

    ---

    Statement of Tom Miller
    Attorney General of Iowa
    Microsoft Appeals Court Decision
    June 28, 2001

    	We are very pleased with the Court's unanimous decision in the
    Microsoft case.

    	This unambiguous opinion affirming the key elements of our case is
    especially important since this Court was thought by many to be favorable to
    the company's views of the issues, in light of the Court's previous
    decisions in the antitrust area.

    	Our victory before this Court demonstrates conclusively our
    long-held contention that this case was founded upon traditional antitrust
    principles.

    	We would be very comfortable before the District Court in reviewing
    both our tying claims and the remedy necessary to address the findings of
    wrongdoing by Microsoft in maintaining its monopoly.  We will have the
    opportunity to present again our claim that Microsoft illegally linked
    together its products to further protect its monopoly.

    	With a unanimous liability decision as the basis for a strong
    remedy, today's decision will offer us a powerful foundation for addressing
    that issue again before the District Court.

    	The states believe that recent activities by Microsoft will only
    strengthen our argument for strong remedies, including a possible break-up.
    The company's recent announcements regarding XP and Hailstorm indicate to us
    that Microsoft may be repeating its efforts to maintain and extend its
    monopoly even more broadly into the Internet.

    - 30 -
    Contact Bob Brammer, 515-281-6699