FC: More on Feds, Raelian cloning lab, and trying to stifle research

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Sun Jul 01 2001 - 22:02:34 PDT

    [Even if we stipulate that Nat is right on the moral and scientific points,
    not everything that is immoral or bad science should be against the law.
    Unless a federal law is being or is about to be violated, the Feds had no
    business on someone's private property or conducting an investigation. And
    even if there were a federal law that the admittedly kooky researchers
    purportedly violated, that law likely does not comport with the limited
    powers outlined in the U.S. Constitution. Also, contrary to the hype of
    USN&WR, which brags that "investigators have uncovered a secret lab tied to
    human cloning," the lab is hardly secret. Clonaid publicly says it charges
    $200K+ for its services, has sent representatives to testify before
    Congress (http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,42717,00.html) and even
    lists the address of a PR contact
    (http://www.clonaid.com/english/pages/home.html). A contrary view is here:
    "For a Total Ban on Human Cloning," Jun. 26, 2001
    (http://www.weeklystandard.com/magazine/mag_6_40_01/bottum_kristol_ed_6_40_01.asp)
    --Declan]

    ********