FC: Korea restricts online protests, blacklists 119,000+ sites

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 04 2001 - 12:31:20 PDT

    Some additional background:
    http://www.gilc.org/alert/alert49.html
    http://www.gilc.org/alert/alert53.html
    http://www.hankooki.com/kt_tech/200105/t2001050217201245110.htm

    *******

    Subject: [asia-ict-monitor 87] Please, Show International solidarity with
    Korean activists fighting online censorship.
    From: "PatchA" <patchaat_private>
    Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 15:19:28 +0900

    Dear friends,

    My name is PatchA. I'm a member of Korean Progressive Network
    (Jinbonet). The Korean situation of Online Censorship becomes
    more dangerours. The government will announce the enforcement
    ordinance related to Internet content rating system and prohibition
    of online demonstration. So we are now gathering and organizing
    international solidarity. Please Join our struggle. Below is detail
    struggle contents. And you can see more information about our
    struggle on the Free online website
    http://www.freeonline.or.kr/english

    Thank you.

    In solidarity PatchA

    Show International solidarity with Korean activists fighting online
    censorship.

    Last year, the Korean Ministry of Information & Communication
    (MIC) of the Kim Dae-jung government tried to pass the Korean
    Communication Decency Act. The Act included a very dangerous
    Internet Content Rating System provision. So, many Korean
    progressive groups fought against the legislation and finally, before
    being passed, the clauses related to the Content Rating System
    were deleted from the Act.

    But, this year, the MIC snuck new provisions relating to a Content
    Rating System into the enforcement ordinance of the Act and
    announced that it would be carried out from July 1st. In addition to
    a content rating system provision, this enforcement ordinance also
    has very strict clause making online demonstrations illegal. For
    example, writing protest messages on internet bulletin boards,
    sending many protest messages to one server (like the MIC
    server), and Virtual sit-ins (known as, "DOS" - Denial of Service)
    etc. So, after July 1st, most online demonstrations will be illegal.

    Korean Progressive groups, including the "Collaboration Action
    Group Against Information and Communication Censorship" (CAG)
    have organized events against the Act over the last two months,
    such as protest performances, one person demonstrations in front
    of the MIC, Press Conferences, and on/off-line debating
    conferences etc. However, the government has ignored these
    people's voices.

    We strongly encourage international progressive groups, including
    NGOs (Non-government Organizations), CSGs (Civil Society
    Groups) etc. to join our international solidarity struggle. And Please
    send solidarity messages to us (dellaat_private,
    patchaat_private).

    Before July 1st, hundreds of Korean progressive groups are
    preparing actions, such as the following:

    1. Online Website Strike

    When : From June 29 to July 1, for about 72 hours What : Site
    Strike will be on a lot of web sites How : GAG will provide a
    common protesting web page. All participating groups will make a
    common web page and place it so it appears when people first
    enter the site. This common web page will contain protest
    messages against this policy and include links to bulletin boards
    where people can discuss it.

    2. Send online Protest Messages to Cheong Wa Dae (Korean
    Government), the MIC, and Korean Information Communication
    Ethics Committee by E-mail

    * Cheong Wa Dae

    No Bulletin Board System Email : webmasterat_private

    * Korean Ministry of Information & Communication

    Bulletin Board System:
    http://www.mic.go.kr/jsp/mic_z/mail_10_1.jsp?menu_code=m101_0
    001_1 Email : webmasterat_private

    * The Information and Communication Ethics Committee

    No Bulletin Board E-mail : webmasterat_private

    3. Send off-line Protest Messages by telephone or Fax.

    * Cheong Wa Dae

    - Tel : +82-730-5800

    * Korean Ministry of Information & Communication

    - General inquiries : +82 2 750 2000 - Help desk : +82 2 750 2114

    * The Information and Communication Ethics Committee

    - Tel : +82-2-3415-0154 - Fax : +82-2-3415-0199