FC: Chuck0 replies to FBI investigation post, says he was joking

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 04 2001 - 14:22:12 PDT

    "FBI is investigating an alleged "Black Bloc" threat sent to Politech"
    http://www.politechbot.com/p-02219.html

    *********

    Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2001 15:28:17 -0400
    From: Chuck0 <chuckat_private>
    To: Declan McCullagh <declanat_private>
    CC: politechat_private, aaronlat_private
    Subject: Re: FBI is investigating an alleged "Black Bloc" threat sent to
    Politech

    Declan McCullagh wrote:

     > The FBI is investigating an alleged threat against the Cato Institute, the
     > world's leading free-market think tank, sent to Politech.
     >
     > Chuck0 <chuckat_private> sent a message to Politech that I forwarded -- as
     > part of an ongoing discussion about privacy and globalization -- on Monday:
     > http://www.politechbot.com/p-02214.html
     >
     > The message said: "Cato's little insult of the black bloc means that we'll
     > be paying Cato HQ a visit this coming September. People who work in glass
     > buildings shouldn't throw the first rhetorical stones."

    It's interesting that so-called "libertarians" would run to the FBI when they
    can't take a joke. My response to Declan McCullagh concerning Aaron Lukas'
    article, a journalist whose work I respect and read on a regular basis, was
    meant for Declan's eyes only, not the entirety of the Politech list.

    My comment about the "black bloc means that we'll be paying Cato HQ a visit
    this
    coming September" didn't say anything about what the black bloc would do
    once it
    reached Cato. It's not like I can tell the black bloc what to do. I they chose
    to do this, perhaps they would consense to smoking some weed with the
    Libertarians, since we do see eye to eye on drug policy. Of course, there are
    many things we don't see eye to eye on, including free markets, free trade, and
    running to the FBI when we can't take a joke.

    << Chuck0 >>

    Infoshop.org    -> http://www.infoshop.org/
    Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/
    Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/
    Homepage -> http://flag.blackened.net/chuck0/home/

    INTERNATIONALISM IN PRACTICE

    An American soldier in a hospital explained how he was wounded: He said, "I was
    told that the way to tell a hostile Vietnamese from a friendly Vietnamese
    was to
    shout 'To hell with Ho Chi Minh!' If he shoots, he's unfriendly. So I saw this
    dude and yelled 'To hell with Ho Chi Minh!' and he yelled back, 'To hell with
    President Johnson!' We were shaking hands when a truck hit us."

    (from 1,001 Ways to Beat the Draft, by Tuli Kupferburg).

    *********

    [Since Chuck0 sent his message to declanat_private and copied the
    politechat_private list address, I concluded it was intended for
    public distribution. --Declan]

    *********