FC: A critical response on how to hack Juno to avoid the ads

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Fri Jul 06 2001 - 15:16:32 PDT

    "How to hack Juno to use Ricochet modems without viewing the ads"
    http://www.politechbot.com/p-02229.html

    *********

    Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2001 13:32:17 -0400
    To: declanat_private, politechat_private
    From: Philo <philoat_private>
    Subject: Re: FC: How to hack Juno to use Ricochet modems without
       viewing the ads

    >Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2001 11:17:11 -0400
    >From: Duncan Frissell <frissellat_private>
    >Subject: Defeating Juno's Ad Requirements
    >
    >I recently signed up to use Juno as my ISP for the Ricochet high-speed
    >wireless Internet service.  This means that I've had to spend some time
    >defeating their application which requires you to log on via their (ad
    >infested) software.  I don't mind the ads.  I dislike the fact that their
    >application slows down the login and logout process and renders the
    >connection less stable.
    >
    >This is not likely to be of interest to those not using Juno but it is an
    >example of my technical writing.

    Declan,
    This gentleman's actions *and* post to Politech are in clear violation of
    Juno's Terms of Service ( http://help.juno.com/privacy/agreement.html )

    Specifically:
    "4.3. You agree not to translate, reverse engineer, reverse compile,
    disassemble or make derivative works from the Software. You agree not to
    modify the Software in any manner or form, or to use modified versions of
    the Software including, without limitation, for the purpose of obtaining
    unauthorized access to the Service or disabling features of the Software or
    Service. Except as may be permitted by Juno, you agree not to access the
    Service by any means other than through the interface that is provided by
    Juno or its partners for use in accessing the Service."

    I would suggest that if a subscriber has issues with the operation of the
    software, either contact Juno's technical support, or else find a new provider.

    Just a head's up.

    Philo

    philoat_private AOLIM: philo589         ICQ: 9802707
    Get legal advice or find a local attorney: http://www.lawguru.com/

    *********