FC: FCC's Tristani gains ally in campaign against radio "indecency"

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Sat Jul 07 2001 - 09:50:36 PDT

    FCC commissioner Gloria Tristani has been waging a one-woman campaign
    against so-called "indecency" on the airwaves. Until now, that is. This
    week FCC commissioner Michael Copps, in what appears to be the Bush
    appointee's first public statement since taking the job this spring, joined
    Tristani. That means two of the FCC's three commissioners -- almost a
    majority -- are pressing for a government crackdown on radio and TV shows.
    Read their statements below.

    Michael Copps home page:
    http://www.fcc.gov/commishcopps.html

    Previous Tristani statements:

    Bare skin on TV must be banned by FCC, says Gloria Tristani
    http://www.politechbot.com/p-02199.html
    June 29, 2001

    http://www.politechbot.com/p-02049.html
    Prudish FCC commissioner plans to run for New Mexico governor
    May 21, 2001

    http://www.politechbot.com/p-01864.html
    FCC's Tristani complains about yet another "indecent" broadcast
    March 29, 2001

    http://www.politechbot.com/p-01781.html
    Prudish FCC commissioner insists "piss" should be punished
    March 2, 2001

    Commissioner Tristani and Copps Indecency Case Statements (2)

    ·       Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2001 14:23:02 -0400
    ·       To: undisclosed-recipients:;
    ·       Subject: Commissioner Tristani and Copps Indecency Case Statements (2)
    ·       From: "David Fiske" <DFISKEat_private>

    The following are statements by FCC Commissioners Gloria Tristani and
    Michael Copps regarding an FCC indecency case from Burlington, N.C.,
    followed by the Enforcement Bureau letter in the case. Statements on a case
    from Chicago Illinois were contained in an earlier email.

    (1) PRESS STATEMENT OF COMMISSIONER GLORIA TRISTANI
    For Immediate Release July 2, 2001
    Contact: Paul Gallant 202-418-2300
    Re: Enforcement Bureau Letter Ruling on Indecency Complaint
    Against WDGC(FM), Durham, North Carolina

    The FCC's Enforcement Bureau has issued a letter dismissing a complaint
    from Joyce Moller of Burlington, North Carolina.  Ms. Moller had filed a
    complaint with the Commission regarding the broadcast of potentially
    indecent material by WDCG (FM). Ms. Moller's complaint says that at 8 a.m.
    on February 5, 2001, hosts of the *Bob and Madison Showgram* on WDCG were

    taking calls from people that had never masturbated (shaking hands with the
    queen or something to that effect). * [T]hey told the listener in question
    that they would give them ten minutes to put the phone down and try it.  If
    they did they would give them 'a bunch of prizes.'

    Ms. Moller went on to say:

    I couldn't believe that it was actually on the radio and once that settled
    in, I couldn't believe that they would air this trash at 8 am!   Parents
    can't and shouldn't have to monitor everything their children listen to on
    the radio.

    Actually, Ms. Moller's observation about the need to protect children is
    precisely why the Supreme Court has upheld the FCC's authority to limit
    indecent broadcasts.  In FCC v. Pacifica Foundation, the Court said
    indecency regulation is appropriate because  parents need help in
    protecting their children from potentially harmful broadcast material and
    because *broadcasting is uniquely accessible to children.*1

    The statute passed by Congress that gives the FCC authority to regulate
    indecent broadcasts says: *Whoever utters obscene, indecent, or profane
    language by means of radio communications shall be fined not more than
    $10,000 or imprisoned not more than two years, or both.*2  It is well
    established that the context is essential in determining whether a
    particular broadcast is indecent.3

    Of the three factors recently identified by the Commission as that
    establish context, two seem particularly relevant here: (1) whether the
    material appears to pander or is used to titillate; and (2) whether the
    material dwells on the sexual or excretory activity.4  First, Ms. Moller
    explains that the on air personality used a slang term (*shaking hands with
    the queen*) for masturbation.  Ms. Moller also stated that the on air
    personalities offered prizes to a caller who would masturbate during the
    program.  These two facts suggest that this discussion about masturbation
    was not a bona fide news cast but a conversation intended to titillate and
    pander.  Second, as to whether the material dwelled on the discussion of
    sexual activity, Ms. Moller's complaint indicates that this segment of the
    program apparently lasted for at least 10 minutes.  This implies something
    much closer to a persistent focus than a fleeting reference.

    Given this, Ms. Moller's complaint deserved a careful investigation rather
    than the summary dismissal it received.  At the very least, the Bureau
    should have contacted the station to request a tape or transcript of this
    program.  As I suggest in a separate Press Statement, I believe the Bureau
    also should contact the complainant where it appears reasonably likely that
    additional *context* would result in a finding that our indecency ban has
    been violated.5  Such follow up, had it occurred in this case, might well
    have led to the finding that WDCG violated our broadcast indecency
    limitations.  Without a change in the Commission's process for enforcing
    the broadcast indecency regulations, far too many complaints will be
    dismissed for *lack of context* when all that is required for reasoned
    decisionmaking is a minimal amount of follow up.

    (2) STATEMENT OF COMMISSIONER MICHAEL J. COPPS
    For Immediate Release July 2, 2001
    Contact: Susanna Zwerling (202) 418-2000
    In order to protect children from indecent programming, Congress passed
    laws limiting the broadcast of  *obscene, indecent or profane* language and
    charged the FCC with the enforcement of these laws.  As an FCC
    Commissioner, I have a responsibility to ensure that the indecency laws of
    the United States are being enforced.  I take this responsibility with the
    utmost seriousness.

    I want to take the opportunity presented by these decisions to express some
    thoughts on the Commission's enforcement of the indecency laws.

    As a parent, I am concerned about what seems to be an increasing amount of
    sexually explicit and profane programming on the airwaves and the
    potentially detrimental effects of this programming on our children. Our
    nation has enacted laws * Constitutionally sanctioned laws * to protect
    young people from these excesses.

    One of the complaints dismissed today involves an allegation that, during a
    morning radio program, the twenty-seven-year-old host discussed * perhaps
    even joked about * having had sexual relations with a nine-year-old child.
    This sort of content is at least offensive to the listening public, if not
    indecent. It is government's responsibility *
    and more specifically that of the FCC * to ensure that indecent programming
    is not broadcast when children are likely to be in the audience.

    The process by which the FCC has enforced these laws places an inordinate
    responsibility on the complaining citizen. It seems to me that when
    enforcing the indecency laws of the United States it is the Commission's
    responsibility to investigate complaints that the law has been violated,
    not the citizen's responsibility to prove the violations.

    Lack of information about what was said and when it was broadcast should
    not be allowed to derail our enforcement of the laws. If something is said
    on the public airwaves, a strong argument can be made that it should be
    part of the public record. I believe that most broadcasters already retain
    recordings of their broadcasts, for a variety of reasons.  That strikes me
    as good management. Our indecency enforcement should not create a
    disincentive for broadcasters to do so. As a newly-confirmed Commissioner,
    I am interested in looking at how the Commission could encourage universal
    retention of recordings of broadcast programming to aid in its indecency
    enforcement.

    Going forward, I want to ensure that the Commission investigates rigorously
    the complaints filed by citizens. Americans have a right to expect their
    government to enforce the indecency laws of the United States.   This will
    be an important priority for  me as I begin my service at the Commission.

    (3) Enforcement Bureau Letter

    Ms. Joyce Moller

    Burlington, North Carolina

    Dear Ms. Moller:

    This is in response to your complaint against radio station WDCG (FM),
    Durham, North Carolina, for airing allegedly indecent material on February
    5, 2001 at 8:00 a.m. during " The Bob and Madison Showgram."  In support of
    your complaint, you submitted a general description of the programming
    broadcast.  Further, you state that you submitted a complaint last year
    about the "mile high club" broadcast. Based on our research of our
    Division's records, we have found that this earlier complaint was never
    received.

      Congress has given the Federal Communications Commission the
    responsibility for administratively enforcing 18 U.S.C. § 1464, which
    prohibits the broadcast of obscene and indecent programs.  To be obscene,
    material must meet a three-prong test: (1) an average person, applying
    contemporary community standards, must find that the material as a whole,
    appeals to the prurient interest; (2) the material must depict or describe,
    in a patently offensive way, sexual conduct specifically defined by
    applicable law; and (3) the material, taken as a whole, must lack serious
    literary, artistic, political, or scientific value. See Miller v.
    California, 413 U.S. 15 (1973).  Upon review of your abbreviated
    description of what you heard, we cannot determine that the elements of the
    aforementioned three-prong test have been satisfied to meet the definition
    of obscenity.

    As to the February 5, 2001 complaint, we understand that you are offended
    by the programming described, however, it does not appear that we have any
    basis for action at this time. The Commission has defined indecency as
    language that, in context, depicts or describes, in terms patently
    offensive as measured by contemporary community standards for the broadcast
    medium, sexual or excretory activities or organs. Industry Guidance On the
    Commission's Case Law Interpreting 18 U.S.C. § 1464 and Enforcement
    Policies Regarding Broadcast Indecency, FCC 01-90 (Apr. 6, 2001). Although
    we understand that you find the programming offensive, the material as you
    describe it, is not sufficiently explicit to conclude that it is patently
    offensive so as to constitute indecency.

    We appreciate and recognize your concern over the possible adverse impact
    such programming may have on children.  One of the most effective means to
    affect programming is to contact your station management and station
    advertisers to express your opinion.

    To assist you further, we include an information sheet which discusses the
    law with respect to indecent broadcasts and our enforcement procedures.

    Thank you for your interest in this matter.
             Sincerely,
             Charles W. Kelley
             Chief, Investigations and Hearings Division
             Enforcement Bureau

    Enclosure

    Commissioner Tristani and Copps Indecency Case Statements (1)

    ·       Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2001 14:22:17 -0400
    ·       To: undisclosed-recipients:;
    ·       Subject: Commissioner Tristani and Copps Indecency Case Statements (1)
    ·       From: "David Fiske" <DFISKEat_private>

    The following are press statements of FCC Commissioners Gloria Tristani and
    Michael Copps regarding an indecency complaint from Chicago, Illinois,
    followed by the Enforcement Bureau Letter in the case.  Statements in a
    second case from North Carolina will follow in a separate email.

    (1) PRESS STATEMENT OF COMMISSIONER GLORIA TRISTANI
    For Immediate Release July 2, 2001
    Contact: Paul Gallant 202-418-2300
    Re:  Enforcement Bureau Letter Ruling Regarding Indecency Complaints
    Against WKQX (FM), Chicago, Illinois

    The FCC's Enforcement Bureau has dismissed an indecency complaint filed by
    David E. Smith of Chicago, Illinois against WKQX (FM).  Mr. Smith's
    complaint states that on February 23, 2000, WKQX broadcast discussion of
    sexual intercourse between a 27 year old man and a nine year old
    child.  This complaint makes a strong case that WKQX violated the
    Commission's ban on indecent broadcasting.  At a minimum, the Bureau should
    not have dismissed this complaint for lack of "context" without attempting
    to contact Mr. Smith to further develop the record.

    Background

    David Smith filed three complaints with the FCC's Enforcement Bureau
    describing a total of five separate instances of allegedly indecent
    broadcasting by WKQX (FM).  According to Mr. Smith, all of these broadcasts
    on WKQX occurred in the course of "Mancow's Morning Madhouse" show hosted
    by Eric "Mancow" Muller.

    Two of the five incidents described Mr. Smith ultimately led the
    Enforcement Bureau to issue a Notice of Apparent Liability against
    WKQX.   The Bureau dismissed the three remaining complaints because, in the
    Bureau's view, they did not constitute indecency violations on their face.

    Of the three complaints dismissed, one alleges that, between 7:50 and 8 in
    the morning:

    Mancow and his staff talked euphemistically and directly about the
    particulars of adult-child sexual intercourse.  During this broadcast,
    Mancow sanctions statutory rape by claiming that at age 27, he had sex with
    a 9 year old.

    Mr. Smith said he wrote to the FCC because he believes "this type of
    material is indecent and extremely inappropriate for broadcast on the
    public's airwaves."

    Discussion

    The statute the FCC enforces provides:

    Whoever utters any obscene, indecent, or profane language by means of radio
    communication shall be fined not more than $10,000 or imprisoned not more
    than two years, or both.

    In FCC v. Pacifica Foundation, the U.S. Supreme Court approved the FCC's
    ban on broadcast material that

    describes, in terms patently offensive as measured by contemporary
    community standards for the broadcast medium, sexual or excretory
    activities and organs at times of the day when there is a reasonable risk
    that children may be in the audience.

    The Court has identified "perverted sexual acts" as a plain example of
    patently offensive material.

    The Commission has previously fined a station for broadcasting material
    similar to the material described in Mr. Smith's complaint.  In 1997, the
    Commission fined KUPD(FM) of Tempe, Arizona for a brief on-air joke about
    adult-child sexual intercourse.   That case provided guidance to radio
    stations that discussing adult-child sexual intercourse in a humorous or
    pandering manner is actionably indecent.

    According to Mr. Smith's complaint, Mancow conducted a detailed discussion
    at approximately 8 a.m. of adult-child sexual intercourse and even claimed
    that, at age 27, he had had sex with a nine year old child.  If ever there
    were a case for a per se violation of the indecency laws, this is
    it.   Discussion of sexual intercourse between an adult and a child is
    clearly a "perverted sex act" within the Supreme Court's description of
    patently offensive material.  Moreover, the sexual act that Mancow claims
    to have performed is actually illegal in Illinois,  where this broadcast
    allegedly occurred.  Even in the absence of any additional linguistic
    "context," the fact that the discussion of adult-child sexual intercourse
    was broadcast on a humor and entertainment radio program should be
    probative as to context.  Thus there would seem to be little doubt that
    this discussion was not a bona fide newscast, but instead was a segment
    intended to pander or an attempt at raunchy humor.

    Given an opportunity to respond, the station did not deny that the
    broadcast occurred.  In the absence of any countervailing evidence to Mr.
    Smith's complaint, and in view of the KUPD case, the information strongly
    suggests that WKQX violated the ban on indecent broadcasting when it aired
    the material described in Mr. Smith's complaint.

    Even if the Bureau believed that Mr. Smith's complaint lacked sufficient
    context to constitute an indecency violation, the Bureau should not have
    dismissed the complaint given the facts alleged.  The Bureau took the
    correct first step when it sent a Letter of Inquiry to the station.  The
    problem is that the investigation ended when the station failed to provide
    any evidence implicating itself.  At that point, the Bureau easily could
    have contacted Mr. Smith to inquire whether he could provide any additional
    information regarding his complaint.  Instead, the Bureau dismissed his
    complaint due to lack of "context."

    The Bureau's failure to contact Mr. Smith in this case highlights a serious
    problem with the Commission's indecency enforcement.  When the Bureau sends
    Letters of Inquiry to stations regarding indecency complaints, many
    stations respond that they lack a tape or transcript of the alleged
    incident.  Thus the Letter of Inquiry is the first and last step of most
    investigations.  I believe more should be done.  In instances where the
    Bureau believes there is a reasonable likelihood that additional
    information regarding "context" would lead to an indecency finding, the
    Bureau should contact the both the complainant and the station as a routine
    practice.  Contacting both the station and the complainant should not
    impose unreasonable burdens on Commission staff, and obtaining additional
    information from complainants would undoubtedly result in more thorough
    records to evaluate indecency complaints.

    In sum, the Bureau's disinclination to seek information from complainants
    results in too many citizens' complaints to be dismissed for "lack of
    context."  I would urge the Bureau to begin contacting both the broadcaster
    and the complainant whenever indecency investigations are conducted. This
    would permit the Commission to enforce Congress's anti-indecency statute
    far more effectively.

    (2) PRESSSTATEMENT OF COMMISSIONER MICHAEL J. COPPS
[...]

    FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION ENFORCEMENT BUREAU
    July 2, 2001

    Mr. David Edward Smith

    Chicago, Illinois

             File No. EB-00-IH-0401 (JWS)
             WKQX(FM), Chicago, IL
             Facility ID # 19525

    Dear Mr. Smith:

    By this letter, we dismiss three complaints against radio station WKQX(FM),
    Chicago, Illinois, all of which contended that the station aired indecent
    material during the "Mancow's Morning Madhouse" ("Mancow") program.  The
    first complaint alleges that on February 23, 2000, the host Eric "Mancow"
    Muller and his staff talked euphemistically and directly about adult-child
    sexual intercourse and that Mr. Muller claimed that at age 27 he had had
    sex with a nine-year old.  The second complaint claims that on May 22,
    2000, Mr. Muller aired a caller who proclaimed that the show was the right
    place to find out if other males do what he does. The caller then explained
    that "I use my girlfriend's secretions" at which point he was cut off and
    asked to hold on.  Approximately 30 minutes later, the conversation
    allegedly continued for another two minutes but only after the caller was
    warned more than once to substitute "feminine odor" for secretions.  The
    third complaint alleges that on May 24, 2000, the Mancow program contained
    questions from a female air personality who asked a number of women "How do
    you feel about your vagina?"  The complaint further contends that after the
    interview a song was played which repeated the phrase "dripping
    wet."  Through a letter of inquiry, we submitted these complaints (along
    with certain others of your complaints) to the licensee for its
    comments.  The licensee responded that it has neither a tape nor a
    transcript and cannot determine whether the alleged statements were made.

    The Commission has defined indecency as material, which, in context,
    depicts or describes sexual or excretory activities or organs in a patently
    offensive manner as measured by contemporary community standards for the
    broadcast medium.  In determining whether broadcast material is patently
    offensive we look to, among other things, the explicitness or graphic
    nature of the description of sexual or excretory organs or activities and
    whether the material dwells at length on such organs or activities.  See
    Industry Guidance on the Commission's Case Law Interpreting 18 U.S.C. §
    1464 and Enforcement Policies Regarding Broadcast Indecency, FCC 01-90,
    released April 6, 2001.  Subject matter alone does not render material
    indecent.  See WPBN/WTOM License Subsidiary, Inc. (WPBN-TV and WTOM-TV), 15
    FCC Rcd 1838 (2000); King Broadcasting Co. (KING-TV), 5 FCC Rcd 2971 (1990).

    Although the programming you describe was clearly offensive to you, we do
    not believe there is sufficient information for us to determine that it is
    indecent.  The first complaint charges that a 10-minute segment of Mancow
    featured a discussion about adult-child sexual intercourse and included a
    claim by the program's host that he had sex with a child of nine.  Upon
    review of your complaint, we have determined that we cannot conclude, based
    on the information you provided, that the Mancow discussion is
    indecent.  In making indecency determinations, it is imperative that the
    Commission have sufficient context in terms of the words and language
    used.  Although we understand that this discussion was offensive to you,
    the allegation that a station aired a discussion on adult-child sex or even
    that an announcer claimed to have had sex with a child, without more, is
    not sufficient to find that a station has broadcast indecent material under
    relevant Commission precedent.  (See cases cited above).  Although we have
    previously found apparently indecent a crude joke about adult-child
    sex,  there is not sufficient context to ascertain whether the discussion
    was so explicit or graphic so as to rise to the level of being patently
    offensive.

    The second complaint focuses on a caller's girlfriend's
    "secretions."  However, the information available reveals that the caller
    was cut off before it became apparent what "secretions" were involved and
    what they were used for. Thus, at that point, the only possible reference
    to a sexual organ or activity was so fleeting as to be virtually
    meaningless.  Moreover, although it further appears that when the
    conversation resumed, some 30 minutes later, the "secretions" probably
    involved those emanating from the caller's girlfriend's sexual organ, there
    is nothing before us suggesting what, exactly, was discussed.  We are
    therefore in no position to determine whether the material aired was
    patently offensive.

    The third complaint essentially has the same shortcomings as the
    second.  While there is no question that a sexual organ was discussed,
    there is no way to know from the information available to us that the
    material did so in a patently offensive manner.  Indeed, there is no way to
    tell what actually aired, other than the question posed.  Moreover, while
    the song that followed the interview allegedly repeated the phrase,
    "dripping wet," we have no information upon which to base a reasoned
    decision that that portion of the material, much less the whole segment,
    contained patently offensive descriptions of sexual organs or
    activities.  Based on the information available, we simply cannot tell
    whether "dripping wet" refers to the female sexual organ and, if so, does
    so in a patently offensive manner.

      Having concluded that the information now before us fails to show that
    indecent material was broadcast, we dismiss your complaints of February 23,
    May 22 and May 24, 2000.  Your other complaints concerning Mancow will be
    addressed separately.

    Sincerely,
    Charles W. Kelley
    Chief, Investigations and Hearings Division Enforcement Bureau
    cc:  John Fiorini, III, Esquire