FC: Politech photos: Gary Condit stakeout, party, and media blitz

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue Jul 10 2001 - 21:51:02 PDT

    Like dozens of other reporters, I can't stay away from the Gary Condit and
    Chandra Levy story. But it wasn't by choice or assignment.

    Condit's apartment is around the corner from mine -- so whenever I walk to
    the grocery store or a restaurant or the dry cleaner's, I get to stumble
    over a snarl of cables on the sidewalk while running the gauntlet of
    paparazzi who have established base camp next to his apartment building in
    Adams Morgan. Particularly impressive are the telescoping pole-mounted
    cameras, tall enough to peer down into Condit's bedroom in hopes of
    catching him fondling the next intern. He lives on the fourth floor, and is
    smart enough to have closed the blinds.

    Until Monday, the media stakeout has been both pathetic and hysterical:
    Condit hasn't been spotted within miles of his apartment in the last few
    weeks but the media pack is outside anyway. I chatted with a New York Post
    photog who was philosophical when taunted by some passers-by -- he was
    getting paid by the hour, he said, and relished the wait.

    Condit may not be there, but other residents of the apartment building had
    started to take offense. One irate resident came out and took photos of all
    the reporters, which seemed to offend them. Around noon on Sunday, another
    started screaming at and physically threatened some of the journalists.
    They responded by clustering in clumps for safety.

    All that changed on Monday, when the DC cops said they were planning on
    searching Condit's pad. Immediately a caravan of additional camera and
    satellite trucks marched on the neighborhood like a conquering army. My
    friend who runs the cash register at the nearby family-owned convenience
    store was properly impressed by the show of cameras, though confided that
    journalists don't come in for lunch. Apparently they have it catered.

    By this evening, the mood had also changed. The building residents -- many
    political hacks, as you might expect -- had gathered for an impromptu party
    complete with booze on the front steps to wait for the expected police
    raid. They invited their friends and even tolerated the media for a change.

    You can see some meta-paparazzi photos here -- the first three are from
    Sunday and the last two are from Monday evening:
    http://www.mccullagh.org/theme/gary-condit-stakeout-july01.html