FC: Afghan Taliban leaders ban "wrong, obscene, immoral" websites

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 16 2001 - 18:44:07 PDT

    UPI coverage:
    http://www.vny.com/cf/News/upidetail.cfm?QID=202816

    ********

    From: "R. v. Head" <4whpat_private>
    To: <declanat_private>
    Cc: "Matthew Gaylor" <freemattat_private>
    Subject: This guy could get a job with the AFA ...
    Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 14:09:03 -0400

    Taliban Leaders: The Content's Lousy
    Afghanistan 'Bans' The Internet
    The Register

    The Taliban has banned the use of the Internet in Afghanistan to stop
    "immoral" material flooding into the country. According to the Afghan
    Islamic Press, Taliban Foreign Minister Maulvi Wakil Ahmad Muttawakil
    said it wasn't that the Afghan government was opposed to the Net, it
    just didn't like the filth that was freely displayed on it. Muttawakil
    commented: "We want to establish a system in Afghanistan through which
    we can control all those things that are wrong, obscene, immoral and
    against Islam," Afghan Islamic Press reports, via Reuters.

    This is the place where a more suave person would insert a .sig.
    Next time, try reading a message from a More Suave Person.