FC: Secret Service returns Gold-Age's computers after raid in March

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 26 2001 - 08:50:24 PDT

    See also:

    "U.S. Secret Service raids E-Gold currency exchanger"
    http://www.politechbot.com/p-01871.html

    ----- Forwarded message from "Parker E.C. Bradley" <adminat_private> -----

    From: "Parker E.C. Bradley" <adminat_private>
    Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 10:27:53 -0400

    For more info or to make a donation see http://www.gold-age/ldf/ldf.html

    Update 07/24/2001:   Tuesday last week (07/17/2001) the SS returned most
    of the items they stole from us last March -- though we had to come pick
    them up ourselves, and there are still some items missing. Some items of
    note that they stole
    and have not returned are as follows. We added these items and other
    comments to the inventory receipt. Interestingly, they signed this
    revised sheet... thus acknowledging the absence of these items. (The
    revised "Certified Inventory of Personal Property" they signed, dated,
    and marked with the "received - U.S. Secret Service" stamp.)

    *     Research notes & CD on HARP/Cannon Project. [These are
    notes/contacts/schematics/CAD drawings, etc, and  releated CD with
    computer simulations involving a new launch system for low earth orbit.
    This research is based on  previous work by the late Dr. Gerald Bull and
    his brilliant HARP program.]

    *     New York State Truck Title for my 93 Ford Ranger.
    *     Ayn Rand Anniverary Boxed set of Books [was to be a birthday gift
    for my 	sister]
    *     Handful of quarters & misc. change. [We're SURE this will be
    returned, ha, ha]
    *     Lug nuts from Joanna's car {An interesting little story there...
    for later 	disclosure.]
    *     Set of inks for inkjet refill kit.

    There may be other items missing as well, but it will be difficult if
    not impossible to tell immediately, especially in regards to paperwork.

     An interesting side note. On one of the tower computers that was
    returned, I was locked out of the CMOS (apparently, they changed the
    password -- I'll have to remove the internal battery and clear the
    CMOS), and the system currently can't even boot because of hard disk
    failure. (The other tower they stole was a new machine that I was in the
    process of putting together, and didn't have much of significance on
    it). The laptop has also been tampered with, too... aside from the legs
    being broken off, I'm locked out of this machine as well; they changed
    the CMOS password, but being a laptop it's not as simple a matter, as
    with the tower, to reset the CMOS -- I'll have to get specs from HP
    before I go taking this baby apart. In short it's going to take quite a
    bit of time and effort to figure out if there is any data intact for me
    to recover on either of these machines. This kind of destructive
    data-mining was totally unecessary, since I gave them all the passwords
    to the various systems they took.

    http://www.gold-age/ldf/ldf.html

    ----- End forwarded message -----