FC: Cops arrest teens who warn drivers to brake before radar gun

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Fri Aug 03 2001 - 07:05:47 PDT

    ********

    From: "Diamond, Richard" <Richard.Diamondat_private>
    To: "Declan McCullagh (E-mail)" <declanat_private>
    Subject: Protest cameras, go to jail !
    Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 16:21:41 -0400

    Pictures of the evil scofflaws under the weather box in "photo of the day"
    <http://www.calgaryherald.com/index.html>http://www.calgaryherald.com/index.html

    MICHELLE MARK, The Calgary Sun
    August 2, 2001 Thursday, Final Edition
    BOYS TICKED OVER TICKETS

    Three Calgary teens caught sounding the horn on photo radar are on the road
    to youth court.

    Last June 13, the three boys noticed police setting up photo radar on
    Acadia Dr. S.E. and took it upon themselves to warn drivers to slow down
    before getting slapped with a ticket.

    Now it's the teens who are headed to court fighting tickets of their own.

    "We just thought we'd make a couple of signs to warn people," said a
    15-year-old who held up a sign reading "Radar Ahead" with his friends 200
    metres from where police were set up.

    "I wouldn't consider it doing anything wrong," said the teen, who cannot be
    identified under provisions of the Young Offenders Act.

    But police saw things differently. Cops say the $115 stunting ticket for
    each of them isn't for alerting drivers to photo radar -- it's for
    potentially distracting them.

    [...]