FC: AAP's Judith Platt replies to Politech post, clarifies remarks

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Sat Aug 04 2001 - 09:10:40 PDT

    Response to:
    http://www.politechbot.com/p-02311.html

    ********

    From: Judith Platt <jplattat_private>
    To: "'declanat_private'" <declanat_private>
    Subject: The ZD Net Story
    Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 10:40:19 -0400

    Dear Declan:

    In case anyone out there is REALLY interested in the truth re the ZDNEt
    story on librarians and copyright, I was quoted completely out of context.
    The reporter totally misinterpreted my remarks, either through her own lack
    of understanding or a desire to ratchet up discord between publishers and
    librarians.  My reference to "Ruby Ridge," while perhaps ill-advised, was
    used metaphorically to indicate an extremist position out of the
    mainstream--a very radical view that has been expressed in some quarters
    (although not by any librarians of my acquaintance) that all computer code
    is protected speech under the First Amendment and that no one--neither a
    publisher nor an author, nor anyone else-should be able to encrypt
    copyrighted material to protect it from unauthorized use and reproduction,
    and expect the encryption to be viewed as any other lock used to protect
    property.  My reference to an "extreme position"  HAD NOTHING WHATSOEVER TO
    DO WITH THE DESIRE OR ABILITY OF LIBRARIANS TO MAKE INFORMATION FREELY
    AVAILABLE.

    What the reporter, Ms. Bowman, failed to include in her article were my
    numerous statements about the cooperative relationship between publishers
    (and their national trade association) and librarians.  We  totally value
    what librarians do and we are working together to come up with ways that
    will take full advantage of the new digital environment to make information
    available to the widest possible audience without sacrificing the legitimate
    copyright interests of authors and publishers.

    Judith Platt
    Director of Communications & Public Affairs
    Association of American Publishers

    Judith Platt
    Director of Communications & Freedom to Read
    Association of American Publishers
    50 F Street, NW
    Washington, DC 20001
    email: jplattat_private