FC: Microsoft's position on eBook encryption, anti-piracy efforts

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 06 2001 - 08:53:09 PDT

    [I rather like this line: "We are also helping to deploy powerful
    surveillance services that can identify illegal distribution of Microsoft®
    Reader eBooks across the Internet, and report findings to publishers... The
    information and evidence gathered by this tool can form the foundation for
    subsequent civil and criminal enforcement." I presume MS means automated
    monitoring of pirate websites/FTP sites and Usenet, but that's a singularly
    awkward way of putting it. --Declan]

    ---

    http://www.microsoft.com/ebooks/das/antipiracy.asp

        Anti-Piracy Efforts

        Beyond Encryption: Microsoft's Commitment to Secure Distribution of
        Digital Intellectual Property
        Software can be used to encrypt digital content and establish rules
        for its lawful access and use, but encryption is only one part of
        Microsoft's overall strategy for maintaining digital intellectual
        property rights. With so much at stake in protecting the commercial
        value of our own software products, Microsoft has been at the
        forefront for many years in initiatives that foster respect for
        digital intellectual property.

        As eBooks inspire a new era in publishing, Microsoft is pleased to
        support the Association of American Publishers (AAP) in its
        unprecedented efforts to implement programs to proactively address the
        threat of eBook piracy. As an AAP member, Microsoft is sharing its
        expertise and resources to ensure that eBook reading is safeguarded
        from the threat of piracy and copyright theft.

        Microsoft is proud to work with the AAP to ensure that consumers are
        educated on the value of owning eBooks.
          * We are sponsoring an educational Web site to inform the public of
            the value of copyright and the costs of piracy.
          * We are also helping to deploy powerful surveillance services that
            can identify illegal distribution of Microsoft® Reader eBooks
            across the Internet, and report findings to publishers.
          * We will help guide a new AAP advisory board in creating a
            comprehensive program to fight eBooks piracy, in which all AAP
            members are invited to participate. Microsoft and the AAP also
            welcome the participation of other retailers and publishers in
            these efforts.

        The AAP is the national trade association of the U.S. book publishing
        industry. The AAP has approximately 250 members, including most major
        commercial book publishers in the United States, as well as smaller
        and non-profit publishers, university presses, and scholarly
        societies. Protecting intellectual property rights in all media is
        among AAP's highest priorities. "AAP is delighted to join with
        Microsoft in this effort that will benefit all the players in the
        exciting eBook market, including publishers, authors, retailers, and
        consumers. Intellectual property is the fastest-growing segment of our
        economy and our most precious commodity in the global marketplace."

        Patricia S. Schroeder, President and CEO, Association of American
        Publishers -- August 2000.

        "Three E's" of Digital Security Encryption

        In building their eBook businesses with Microsoft Reader, publishers
        and resellers will encourage consumers to use legitimate distribution
        channels and respect intellectual property rights. However, apart from
        Encryption, digital property anti-piracy efforts require two more
        "E's": Education and Enforcement.

        Education
        Education is the cornerstone for a safe and legal electronic
        marketplace-a marketplace in which consumers, publishers, and
        merchants understand how to protect themselves and the integrity of
        their transactions. The education efforts target two groups:
          * The publishing industry, to ensure that consumers are educated on
            the importance of copyright laws, and the risks associated with
            pirated electronic content.
          * The general public, to establish an awareness of the inherent
            value of eBooks and other copyrighted digital property, and the
            importance of ensuring copyright protection on the Internet.

        Enforcement

        The Association of American Publishers (AAP), with the support of
        Microsoft, is implementing programs and services focusing on
        enforcement:
          * Using technology developed by Microsoft to protect its own
            intellectual property on the Internet, the AAP has implemented an
            aggressive Internet surveillance program, which includes an
            automated, intelligent Internet search tool that searches for
            unauthorized distribution of eBook content 24 hours a day, seven
            days a week. The information and evidence gathered by this tool
            can form the foundation for subsequent civil and criminal
            enforcement.
          * The AAP and Microsoft will also work with law enforcement agencies
            to ensure that copyright laws are honored and that pirates are
            pursued and prosecuted. Publishers and eBooksellers are invited to
            join the AAP and Microsoft in these efforts.

        "Piracy is not a question of 'if', but 'when.' No technology is immune
        to it. The key is having a comprehensive plan in place to counter it
        at every level and minimize the threat." -- Dick Brass, Vice President
        of eMerging Technologies, Microsoft

        Last Updated: Monday, March 19, 2001