FC: Danish police break "Safeguard" encryption program in tax case

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Thu Aug 09 2001 - 08:24:35 PDT

    [From the cryptography mailing list. --Declan]

    **********

    From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Bo_Elkj=E6r?= <bo.elkjaerat_private>
    Subject: Utimacos Safeguard Easy broken by danish police in tax evation ca
    	se
    Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 22:51:08 +0200

    The german encryption program Safeguard Easy has been broken by the danish
    police. Today the police from the city Holstebro in Jutland presented
    evidence in court, that was provided after breaking the encryption on five
    out of sixteen computers that where seized april 25 this year.

    All 16 computers were protected with Safeguard Easy from the german
    encryption provider Utimaco. It is not known whether DES, 128-bit IDEA,
    Blowfish or Stealth was used as algorithm on the computers. All four
    algorithms are built in Safeguard Easy. Details are sparse. It is not known
    how the encryption was broken, whether it was brute forced or flaws in the
    program was exploited.

    The computers where seized from the humanitarian (leftwing) foundation Tvind
    (Humana) in connection with a case about tax evation. Among the evidence
    provided from the encrypted computers were emails sent among the leaders of
    the foundation, Poul Jorgensen and Mogens Amdi Petersen describing transfers
    of large sums of money.

    Apparantly, but not confirmed, british Scotland Yard has been involved in
    breaking the encryption. The danish police doesn't have the capacity to
    break encryption by themselves. Neither has the danish civilian intelligence
    service. Routine is that cases concerning encryption is handed over to the
    danish defence intelligence service DDIS. This procedure has been described
    earlier this year by the danish minister of justice in connection with
    another case. DDIS denies involvement with the Tvind case.

    Employees and leaders at Tvind has denied handing over their passwords to
    the computers. One even wrote a public letter mocking the chief of police in
    Holstebro, describing how he changed his password weekly, and stating that
    he'd probably even forgotten his password by now. At a time, the police
    concidered putting employees in custody until passwords were handed over.

    Thats all for now

    Bo Elkjaer, Denmark

    ********