FC: Singapore political website closes after government demands

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Thu Aug 16 2001 - 23:31:41 PDT

    Some background:

    "Singapore orders political websites to register with government"
    http://www.politechbot.com/p-02257.html

    "Singapore political website reluctantly registers with government"
    http://www.politechbot.com/p-02271.html

    **********

    Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 16:29:48 +0800 (SGT)
    From: Xiao Jinhong <limabeanat_private>
    To: declanat_private
    Subject: Singapore: Sintercom to close down

    Hi Declan. Thought you might find this of interest. A posting in the Sintercom
    forum confirms this.

    This is likely to be a direct consequence of the Sintercom site being asked to
    register itself with the Singapore Broadcasting Authority recently, since IIRC
    all registered political websites (whether or not political party websites,
    which would hence include Sintercom) must comply with the amended
    Parliamentary
    Elections Act.

    2 recent stories in the Straits Times:

    http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/breakingnews/story/0,1895,63836-997739940,00.html?