FC: Petswarehouse.com sues aquatic plant list members for $15 million

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Wed Aug 22 2001 - 08:45:44 PDT

    The mailing list messages that led to the lawsuit, according to the
    complaint at (http://216.168.47.67/psw/Complaint.htm):

    >"Thinking of buying plants from Pet Warehouse? Don't. What is crappy is
    >their service! And they're maybe even A bit dishonest."
    >"But you don't have to take my word as the last word on their horrible
    >service. Feeling lucky? Go ahead - try them out yourselves. After all,
    >it's only your time and money, right?" (Defendant Dan Resler-May 18, 2001)
    >"Remember petSWEARhouse, buy their plants and you'll be swearing!" (May
    >22, 2001)

    Those messages were enough to prompt Petswarehouse.com to demand, according
    to the complaint:
    >  Ten Million Dollars ($10,000,000.00) in compensatory damages, and Five
    > Million Dollars ($5,000,000.00) in punitive damages

    Be warned: Dare to criticize Petswarehouse.com and you could be facing $15
    million in damages.

    -Declan

    *********