FC: Followup: Borders says it never intended to try facecams

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Wed Aug 29 2001 - 08:05:15 PDT

    Previous facecam Politech message:
    http://www.politechbot.com/p-02442.html

    *********

    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

    Contact:
    Ann Binkley
    Borders Public Relations U.S.
    734-477-1519

    Company Statement
    Borders (UK) Ltd.
    Re:  Security System
    Issued:  28 August, 2001

    Borders (UK) Ltd. was approached by the British distributors of a new
    security system that scans the faces of individuals entering the store
    and compares the images to those of known shoplifters.  Borders was
    offered a free trial of this system in our two London store locations on
    Charing Cross Road and Oxford Street.  Unfortunately, a Borders employee
    mistakenly communicated that Borders would proceed with the free trial.
    At the Borders Group, Inc. headquarters, no approval was granted to move
    forward with the trial.  In fact, the company will not participate in a
    trial of the technology or implement it in the United Kingdom or in any
    Borders store worldwide.

    Borders strongly values the human rights and privacy of our staff and
    our customers. At Borders, we feel we have an obligation to provide a
    safe environment for our customers and staff. We promise to continue to
    do so, while offering the best selection and service available anywhere.