FC: Is Rep. Boucher's online-music licensing bill constitutional?

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Mon Sep 10 2001 - 16:52:42 PDT

    ********

    From: "Jeffrey Mazzella" <jmazzellaat_private>
    To: "Declan McCullagh" <declanat_private>
    Subject: Re: Compulsory Licensing of Music on the Internet
    Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 17:44:50 -0400

    Declan --

    CFIF recently commissioned a paper (link below) entitled, "Taking" Away
    Music Copyrights, in response to the introduction of the Music Online
    Competition Act, introduced by Reps. Boucher and Cannon.  The Paper asks
    the question: Does compulsory licensing of music on the Internet violate
    the Fifth Amendment s Takings Clause? We believe a substantive argument can
    be made that it does.

    While the Constitution grants to Congress the authority to protect
    copyrights as a property right through Article I and the Fifth Amendment,
    compulsory licensing, although providing some compensation to copyright
    holders, destroys one s right to negotiate terms for the use of
    intellectual property. In addition, Congress should resist its temptation
    to intervene in the private marketplace for intellectual property rights by
    imposing compulsory licensing that discourages private negotiation and
    inhibits the development of marketplace solutions.

    To read the paper, click on:
    <http://www.cfif.org/5_8_2001/Free_line/current/free_line_copyright.htm>http://www.cfif.org/5_8_2001/Free_line/current/free_line_copyright.htm

    I believe the politechbot list might find it interesting.

    Regards,

    Jeffrey Mazzella
    Vice President, Legislative Affairs
    Center for Individual Freedom