FC: Harry Browne on attacks: A response to "insane" foreign policy

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Wed Sep 12 2001 - 07:13:54 PDT

    Subject: Harry Browne article on attacks
    Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 13:50:06 -0700
    From: Eric Garris <egarrisat_private>

    I am very happy to say that Harry Browne has submitted an article to
    Antiwar.com on the terror attacks.

    We will be running it tomorrow, but I have already sent it out to our
    news
    service and syndication subscribers.
    http://www.antiwar.com/orig/browne2.html

                                 When Will We Learn?
                                   by Harry Browne
                                  September 12, 2001

        The terrorist attacks against America comprise a horrible tragedy. But
        they shouldn't be a surprise.

        It is well known that in war, the first casualty is truth - that
        during any war truth is forsaken for propaganda. But sanity was a
        prior casualty: it was the loss of sanity that led to war in the first
        place.

        Our foreign policy has been insane for decades. It was only a matter
        of time until Americans would have to suffer personally for it. It is
        a terrible tragedy of life that the innocent so often have to suffer
        for the sins of the guilty.

        When will we learn that we can't allow our politicians to bully the
        world without someone bullying back eventually?

        President Bush has authorized continued bombing of innocent people in
        Iraq. President Clinton bombed innocent people in the Sudan,
        Afghanistan, Iraq, and Serbia. President Bush Senior invaded Iraq and
        Panama. President Reagan bombed innocent people in Libya and invaded
        Grenada. And on and on it goes.

        Did we think the people who lost their families and friends and
        property in all that destruction would love America for what happened?

        When will we learn that violence always begets violence?

    Teaching Lessons

        Supposedly, Reagan bombed Libya to teach Muammar al-Qaddafi a lesson
        about terrorism. But shortly thereafter a TWA plane was destroyed over
        Scotland, and our government is convinced it was Libyans who did it.

        When will we learn that "teaching someone a lesson" never teaches
        anything but resentment - that it only inspires the recipient to
        greater acts of defiance.

        How many times on Tuesday did we hear someone describe the terrorist
        attacks as "cowardly acts"? But as misguided and despicable as they
        were, they were anything but cowardly. The people who committed them
        knowingly gave their lives for whatever stupid beliefs they held.

        But what about the American presidents who order bombings of innocent
        people - while the presidents remain completely insulated from any
        danger? What would you call their acts?

        When will we learn that forsaking truth and reason in the heat of
        battle almost always assures that we will lose the battle?

    Losing our Last Freedoms

        And now, as sure as night follows day, we will be told we must give up
        more of our freedoms to avenge what never should have happened in the
        first place.

        When will we learn that it makes no sense to give up our freedoms in
        the name of freedom?

    What to Do

        What should be done?

        First of all, stop the hysteria. Stand back and ask how this could
        have happened. Ask how a prosperous country isolated by two oceans
        could have so embroiled itself in other people's business that someone
        would want to do us harm. Even sitting in the middle of Europe,
        Switzerland isn't beset by terrorist attacks, because the Swiss mind
        their own business.

        Second, resolve that we won't let our leaders use this occasion to
        commit their own terrorist acts upon more innocent people, foreign and
        domestic, that will inspire more terrorist attacks in the future.

        Third, find a way, with enforceable constitutional limits, to prevent
        our leaders from ever again provoking this kind of anger against
        America.

    Patriotism?

        There are those who will say this article is unpatriotic and
        un-American - that this is not a time to question our country or our
        leaders.

        When will we learn that without freedom and sanity, there is no reason
        to be patriotic?

        Harry Browne was the 2000 Libertarian presidential candidate. You can
        read more of his articles at www.HarryBrowne.org, and his books are
        available at www.HBBooks.com.

    *********