FC: Senate votes to permit warrantless Net-wiretaps, Carnivore use

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Fri Sep 14 2001 - 13:14:37 PDT

    Text of the Hatch-Feinstein "Combating Terrorism Act of 2001":
    http://www.politechbot.com/docs/cta.091401.html

    Muddled debate over the amendment:
    http://www.fas.org/sgp/congress/2001/s091301.html

    -Declan

    ********

       Senate OKs FBI Net Spying
       By Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
       12:55 p.m. Sep. 14, 2001 PDT

       WASHINGTON -- FBI agents soon may be able to spy on Internet users
       legally without a court order.

       On Thursday evening, two days after the worst terrorist attack in U.S.
       history, the Senate approved the "Combating Terrorism Act of 2001,"
       which enhances police wiretap powers and permits monitoring in more
       situations.

       The measure, proposed by Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) and Dianne Feinstein
       (D-California), says any U.S. attorney or state attorney general can
       order the installation of the FBI's Carnivore surveillance system.
       Previously, there were stiffer restrictions on Carnivore and other
       Internet surveillance techniques.

       Its bipartisan sponsors argue that such laws are necessary to thwart
       terrorism. "It is essential that we give our law enforcement
       authorities every possible tool to search out and bring to justice
       those individuals who have brought such indiscriminate death into our
       backyard," Hatch said during the debate on the Senate floor.

       [...]