FC: Charles Platt on "The Enduring Power of Stupidity"

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Mon Sep 17 2001 - 07:59:52 PDT

    **********

    Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 20:36:04 -0400 (EDT)
    From: Charles Platt <cpat_private>
    To: <cpat_private>
    Subject: The Enduring Power of Stupidity

    The Enduring Power of Stupidity

    During the past five days I have read many essays. To me, all
    of them have missed a fundamental underlying point.

    There are two basic forces in the world: Intelligence and
    stupidity. Human intelligence generally is creative, and has
    the potential to enhance our lives. Stupidity almost always
    is destructive.

    A month ago, the power of stupidity was demonstrated on a
    routine basis when our president made an "ethical decision"
    that scientists should destroy small clumps of human cells by
    throwing them away, instead of using them in research to
    eradicate terrible diseases. This stupidity was justified by
    misinterpreting an archaic book of primitive myths.

    During the half-century that I have been alive, I've seen
    many similar examples of stupidity depriving us of the fruits
    of intelligence. Random examples include the misapplication
    of Marxism, the Vietnam war, the cold war, dismantling the US
    manned space program, eco-alarmism, and the war on drugs.

    No doubt every person has some favorite examples to add to
    this list.

    At the dawn of the 21st century, when Y2K was averted by a
    lot of smart people doing intelligent things to prevent the
    paralysis of modern society, I started to hope that
    intelligence was finally gaining an edge over stupidity. Here
    I am now, using a digital computer that not only facilitates
    my creativity as a writer, but also revolutionizes my ability
    to create music, videos, or graphics. Its connectivity has
    changed my entire working and social life. Its power has been
    almost totally beneficial, and it promises still greater
    benefits in the future.

    Computational molecular biology has the potential to
    eradicate all hunger and disease. Ultimately computational
    power should enable us to manipulate matter itself, enabling
    a new era of unlimited wealth while eliminating side effects
    such as pollution and global warming. We may also defeat
    death: I may die, but I believe my daughter has a chance to
    achieve biological immortality.

    At least, I used to believe this, until last Tuesday. On
    Tuesday I saw that stupidity still trumps intelligence. Those
    hijacked airplanes were an amazing feat of intelligent
    engineering, making the miracle of flight not only safe but
    universally accessible. The World Trade Center was a
    brilliantly innovative piece of architecture. Yet a handful
    of thugs armed with box cutters destroyed those fruits of
    intelligence within a few hours. The thugs, of course, were
    acting in accordance with their stupid misinterpretation of
    yet another archaic book of primitive myths.

    Regulatory stupidity facilitated the terrorist acts.
    According to the Washington Post, FAA regulations have always
    permitted knives up to 4 inches long on domestic flights, and
    all cockpit doors on all airplanes can be opened with the
    same master key. In any case, the doors are flimsy enough to
    be kicked open. At least 14 times since 1998, drunk or
    disturbed passengers have tried to force their way into
    airplane cockpits. They succeeded on 6 occasions. In 1999, a
    passenger on All Nippon Airways fatally stabbed a pilot.

    Thus, this country has pursued an aggressive, punitive
    foreign policy that was guaranteed to create enemies, yet
    took only cosmetic steps to protect its own citizens in a
    situation of notorious vulnerability. Worse, in the future,
    passengers will remain vulnerable (instead of being allowed
    access to tools of nonlethal self-defense such as tasers),
    while the foreign policy will become more aggressive, thus
    creating still more enemies.

    I'm old enough to remember how the unfettered, turbulent
    creativity of the 1960s dissipated in the ugly stupidities of
    a war in southeast Asia. I fear now that the incredible
    technological creativity of the past decade may be derailed
    by some equally stupid, unwinnable war in another remote,
    hostile country, causing socioeconomic chaos at home.

    I feel a great, overwhelming melancholy. The wonderful smart
    innovations in the past decade have empowered us in so many
    ways, yet we are still impotent compared with the techno-
    illiterates who claim a mandate to act stupidly on our
    behalf.

    The terrorists with box cutters, and the militants in the
    U.S. government, share two traits. They exercise power
    indiscriminately, and show no great love for technology. In
    fact, I believe they are hostile to it because they see how
    its intelligence threatens them.

    Their fear is justified. In the long term, I still believe
    that technology will eclipse dumb political power and render
    it obsolete.

    Alas, I no longer believe that I will see this happen within
    my lifetime.

    --Charles Platt