FC: Privacy coalition names crypto-enemies "Villians of the Week"

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Thu Sep 20 2001 - 15:07:35 PDT

    Here's a note from ABC News' John Stossel:

    ----

    Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 17:24:58 -0400
    From: James Plummer <jplummerat_private>
    Subject: NCP: Privacy Villain of the Week, Sept. 20

    Privacy Villain of the Week:
    Would-be crypto-banners

    It has been written that with crisis comes the growth of Leviathan
    <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/019505900X/>, and since the
    horrible terror attacks last week, many have been doing their best to keep
    that cycle going.  Some have attempted to reinvigorate the idea that since
    terrorists may use secure encryption, Americans should be barred from doing
    so.

    Senator Judd Gregg (R-NH) <http://cryptome.org/gregg091301.txt>, reopened
    the issue last week, calling for an end to private, secure
    communications.  He was soon followed by some in cyberspace
    <http://www.politechbot.com/p-02536.html>, even as others were already
    resisting <http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,46900,00.html>. What
    the Senator and other misguided souls refuse to recognize is that when a
    key to the back door of your communications is handed to someone (a
    government agency, a "trusted third party"), potentially anyone could
    exploit it.  Permanently crippling secure encryption doesn't just leave
    your electronic love letters vulnerable, it makes important
    business-to-business, and yes, even law-enforcement communications to those
    ho would exploit.  And it leaves the future of secure electronic cash --
    perfectly anonymous and fungible, a boon to consumers -- virtually
    dead.  And in the meantime, the bin Ladens of the world can hire their own
    programmer for secure encryption or use any number of potential creative
    ways <http://www.privacilla.org/default.htm?press10.htm&2> to activate
    their sleeper agents.

    Fortunately, reports indicate
    <http://www.wartimeliberty.com/article.pl?sid=01/09/20/198219> that the
    Administration recognizes all this and will not include a request for
    further cryptographic controls in their request for more "anti-terrorism"
    powers.  But those who would push for such restrictions on a free people
    deserve to be  . . . the Privacy Villain of the Week.

    The Privacy Villain of the Week and Privacy Hero of the Month are projects
    of the National Consumer Coalition's Privacy Group. For more information on
    the NCC Privacy Group, see www.nccprivacy.org or contact James Plummer at
    202-467-5809 or jplummerat_private . To remove yourself from this
    list, just respond to this message with a removal request. To access this
    release directly, go to http://www.nccprivacy.org/handv/010920villain.htm