FC: More on why liberty suffers during wartime -- a historical view

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Mon Sep 24 2001 - 23:09:29 PDT

    *******

    Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 11:47:53 -0700
    To: declanat_private
    From: David Theroux <DTherouxat_private>
    Subject: Re: FC: Why liberty suffers during wartime -- a historical view

    Dear Declan,

    Excellent piece!

    As you may well know, the major book on this subject is by our senior
    fellow Robert Higgs, CRISIS AND LEVIATHAN: Critical Episodes in the Growth
    of American Government (Oxford University Press):
    http://liberty-tree.org/ltn/crisis-and-leviathan.html

    Here is an excellent article by Dr. Higgs on the subject, "How War
    Amplified Federal Power in the Twentieth Century":
    http://www.independent.org/tii/news/990700Higgs.html

    Here also is a new interview of Dr. Higgs:
    http://reason.com/ml/ml092001.html

    As for your points about the U.S. Civil War as the precedent for what lead
    to the 20th Century's giant leaps into national security statism, you might
    find the following of interest:

    "The Civil War: Liberty and American Leviathan," with Henry E. Mayer and
    Jeffrey Rogers Hummel:
    http://www.independent.org/tii/forums/991117ipfTrans.html

    "The Great Centralizer: Abraham Lincoln and the War between the States," by
    Thomas J. DiLorenzo:
    http://independent.org/tii/content/pubs/review/TIR32_dilorenzo.html

    Emancipating Slaves, Enslaving Free Men: A History of the American Civil
    War, by Jeffrey Rogers Hummel, reviewed by Stanley L. Engerman:
    http://independent.org/tii/content/pubs/review/books/TIR21_Hummel.html

    Best regards,

    David
    David J. Theroux